Climate and Health
Climate change is becoming a major issue in public health and in political agendas worldwide. The research program on Climate and Health, led by ICREA researcher Xavier Rodó, aims to address the effects that environmental changes associated to climate change may have on human health, and develop predictive computational models.
Its research lines include extreme temperatures and precipitations, heat waves, the impact of climate change on the spread of infectious diseases like malaria, dengue, leishmaniosis, chikungunya, or Zika, the El Niño phenomenon and other climate and environment factors, and their relationship with Kawasaki disease and other inflammatory diseases.
Model: Prediction of epidemiological dynamics of COVID-19 in Catalonia
The image below shows the predicted epidemiological dynamics of the pandemic in Catalonia, according to data from a model developed by ISGlobal's Climate and Health programme based on case and mortality data reported by the Public Health Agency of Catalonia (ASPCAT).
This is a stochastic and discrete model that has the peculiarity of incorporating climatic variables in the calculation of the infection rate, such as the average daily temperature over the last 20 years. The results shown in the image are obtained after running 1,000 simulations.
Date: January 24, 2022.
- Xavier Rodó Head of the Climate & Health programme
- Joan Ballester Associate Research Professor
- Ivana Cvijanovic Assistant Research Professor
- Sílvia Borràs Staff Scientist
- Desislava Petrova Postdoctoral Fellow
- Sofya Pozdniakova Postdoctoral Researcher
- HICHAM ACHEBAK Postdoctoral Fellow
- Lidia Cañas Laboratory Technician
- Leonardo Lopez Postdoctoral Fellow
- Simon Lloyd Postdoctoral Fellow
- Marcos Quijal Predoctoral Researcher
- Raul Méndez Research Technician
- Zhaoyue Chen Predoctoral Researcher
- Adrià San José Predoctoral Fellow
- Alejandro Fontal Predoctoral Fellow
- Thessa Beck Predoctoral Fellow
- Esther Brinquis Personal Assistant
- Mireia Beas Data Assistant
- Constanza Vielma Predoctoral Fellow
- Patricia Tarin Postdoctoral Researcher
- Elisa Gallo Predoctoral Fellow
- Niti Mishra Predoctoral Researcher
- Laura Chica Castells Research Technician
- Samuel Santamaria Laboratory Technician
- Adrián Fernández Bioinformatic Technician
- Fabien Peyrusse Computer programer
- Adrià Mas Biostatistic Technician
HEalth data LInkage for ClinicAL benefit
Signs of Early Adaptation to Climate Change
Digital Twins Enabled Indoor Air Quality Management for Healthy Living
Other projectsSee Past Projects
Pan-European Urban Climate Service (PUCS)
Arctic Impact on Weather and Climate
Health Sector Engagement for the Copernicus Climate Change Services: Translating European Users Requirements