Ivana Cvijanovic's expertise is in atmospheric dynamics and large-scale atmospheric teleconnections, with a special focus on the impacts of Arctic sea-ice loss.
She holds a PhD in Atmospheric Sciences from the University of Copenhagen and has worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Carnegie Institution for Science, Stanford and at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, California.
Prior to ISGlobal, she was a Beatriu de Pinos fellow at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center. She joins ISGlobal’s Climate and Health group as a "la Caixa" Junior Leader fellow leading the project ArcIce4MedCalRain.
Lines of research
- Atmospheric impacts of Arctic sea ice-loss over regions where we didn't expect them
- Linkages between high latitude and tropical climates
- Tropical and subtropical future rainfall changes and their impacts on ecosystems and on society
- Cvijanovic, I., Lukovic, J., and J. D. C. Begg (2020): 100 years of Milankovic’s cycles. Nature Geoscience 13, 524-525.
- Santer, B.D., Po-Chedley, S., Zelinka, M. D., Cvijanovic, I., Bonfils, C., Durack, P., Fu, Q., Kiehl, J., Mears, J., Painter, J., Pallotta, G., Solomon, S., Wentz, F.J., and Z. Cheng-Zhi Zou (2018): Human Influence on the Seasonal Cycle of Tropospheric Temperature. Science 361, 6399.
- Cvijanovic, I., Bonfils, C., Santer, B. D., Lucas, D. D., Chiang, J.C.H and S. Zimmerman (2017): Future loss of Arctic sea-ice cover could drive a substantial decrease in California’s rainfall. Nature Communications 8, doi:10.1038/s41467-017-01907-4.
- Cvijanovic, I., Caldeira, K. and D. MacMartin (2015): Impacts of ocean albedo alteration on Arctic sea ice restoration and Northern Hemisphere climate. Environmental Research Letters 10, 044020.
- Cvijanovic, I. and J.C.H. Chiang (2013): Global energy budget changes to high latitude North Atlantic cooling and the tropical ITCZ response, Climate Dynamics 40, 1435-1452.
- NEEM community members (2013): Eemian interglacial reconstructed from Greenland folded NEEM ice core strata, Nature 493, 489-494.