- 01/03/2021 - 28/02/2023
- Cathryn Tonne
- Health Effects Institute
Exposure to air pollution may contribute to the wide disparities between and within countries in the health burden from COVID-19. Air pollution is an important risk factor for several non-communicable diseases that increase vulnerability to COVID-19. Understanding whether the role of air pollution in COVID-19 is different from its role in the wider suite of respiratory infections is essential for identifying public health priorities.
The objective of COVAIR-CAT is to test whether long or short-term exposure to air pollution increases the risk of COVID-19 hospital admissions or mortality and to identify vulnerable subgroups in the general population of Catalonia.
The project aims to test whether:
- 1) long-term exposure to air pollution is associated with COVID-19 hospital admission or mortality;
- 2) short-term exposure to air pollution is associated with COVID-19 hospital admission or mortality following COVID-19 diagnosis;
- 3) the influence of long- or short-term exposure to air pollution on COVID-19 outcomes differs according to individual-level socio-demographic factors, comorbidities, area-level socioeconomic factors, or other environmental exposures; and
- 4) the influence of long-term air pollution exposure on COVID-19 hospital admissions and mortality differs from that for respiratory infections not due to SARS-COV-2 infection.
We will use data linkage of electronic health records to construct a large, population-based cohort covering nearly the full population of Catalonia. By leveraging, individual-level data from primary care, laboratory testing, hospital admissions, and mortality registries, we will follow all adult individuals registered in the public health system of Catalonia, Spain in 2015 (n=5 million) through the end of 2020. Geocoded residential addresses will be linked to modeled particulate matter (PM10, PM10-2.5, PM2.5, PM2.5 absorbance), oxides of nitrogen, and ozone.
COVAIR-CAT will generate new, practical knowledge related to the intersection of two major public health challenges: air pollution and COVID-19.
- Cathryn Cecelia Tonne Associate Research Professor
- Mar Álvarez Project Manager
- Joan Ballester Associate Research Professor
- Xavier Basagaña Associate Research Professor
- Carlos Chaccour Assistant Research Professor. Director Científico del proyecto BOHEMIA. Malaria, Virus emergentes
- Payam Dadvand Associate Research Professor
- Maria Foraster Assistant Research Professor
- Carles Mila Garcia
- Mark J Nieuwenhuijsen Research Professor, Director de la Iniciativa de Planificación Urbana, Medio Ambiente y Salud, y jefe del programa de Contaminación Atmosférica y Entorno Urbano
- Sergio Olmos Statistician / Data Scientist
- Otavio Ranzani Assistant Research Professor
- Jordi Sunyer Research Professor
- Antònia Valentín Técnica en Sistema de Información Geográfica (GIS)
Otros proyectosVer proyectos pasados
Combatiendo la Resistencia Bacteriana en Europa
Erradicación del Pian
Application to medical devices
Combatting Bacterial Resistance in Europe - Carbapenem Resistance
Prioritising Antimicrobial Resistance: establishing an interdisciplinary International Research Partnership to tackle an evolving global health threat
An interdisciplinary International Research Partnership to tackle an evolving global health threat
Development of new metal-antibiotics against pathogens causing chronic infections in patients with cystic fibrosis.
New metal-antibiotics for patients with cystic fibrosis
Non-invasive ultrasound-based screening for meningitis: Proof-of concept in infants
Improved case detection through TB contact risk stratification by Xpert results and spatial parameters in Mozambique
Evaluation of the effect of weekly high dose rifapentine and isoniazid (3HP) vs periodic 3HP vs 6H for preventing TB among HIV-positive individuals
Search for new target proteins and use of antibacterial or inhibitory peptides against resistance mechanisms in 'Acinetobacter baumannii'
Optimizing provider-initiated HIV testing, linkage, and retention in care in the district of Manhiça, Mozambique
Integrating and decentralizing diabetes and hypertension services in Africa
Searching the hidden: evaluating dengue, chikungunya and Zika autochthonous transmission in the city of Barcelona.
Eficacia de hidroxicloroquina en la prevención de la infección por SARS-CoV-2 y de la gravedad de la enfermedad de COVID-19 durante el embarazo
Estudio piloto para evaluar el potencial de la ivermectina para reducir la transmisión de COVID-19
Cendea de Cizur
Conèixer la propagació. Entendre la protecció
A breakthrough device for the rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance
Large Clinical Trial in Africa on the Treatment of Mild Cases of COVID-19
Hepatitis B Virus COMmunity Screening and Vaccination in Africans
Evaluating a new stool based qPCR for diagnosis of tuberculosis in children and people living with HIV
Eliminating hepatitis C on the Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza): a study in governmental and non-governmental addiction service centres, a mobile methadone unit and a prison to test and link people who use drugs to HCV care.
Close the Gap, Increase Access, Provide Adequate Therapy
Strengthening Epidemiological Surveillance in Benin and Burkina Faso for an Effective Response to COVID-19
Reconnecting Transmission to Global Tuberculosis Control by Mapping Pathogen Transmission Events to Host Infection Status
Quantifiable stool-based TB PCR to Improve Diagnostics and Treatment Monitoring
Estudio multi-caso control poblacional, incluyendo tumores de alta incidencia en España
Aging Lungs in European Cohorts
Physical Activity as a Crucial Patient Reported Outcome in COPD
Social and environmental determinants of physical activity in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): a qualitative and quantitative epidemiological study
Network on the Coordination and Harmonisation of European Occupational Cohorts
Impact Of Pollution on Asthma and Rhinitis
Severe respiratory failure in COVID-19: clinical, biological and imaging risk factors
Valorización del Archivo Europeo del Genomas y Fenomas (EGA) para la Industria y la Sociedad
Connecting digital mobility assessment to clinical outcomes for regulatory and clinical endorsement
Cohorte Covid-19 en Cataluña
Signs of Early Adaptation to Climate Change
Exposure to emerging contaminants in drinking water in Barcelona potentially liked to chronic diseases and wellbeing
Las Voces de los Afectados por la Nefropatía Mesoamericana
Co-created educational programme for dyspnea-bearing patients and their caregivers
Risk of colorectal and breast cancer with widespread drinking water chemical contaminants
Cohorte de COVID-19 en España: dinámica social, salud mental y desigualdades
EXposome Powered tools for healthy living in urbAN SEttings