- Ester Cerin (ACU. Melbourne). iMAP Barcelona: Mark Nieuwenhuijsen
- Funded by
- Australian Research Council & Australian Catholic University (ACURF18)
The overarching aim of this study is to examine the extent to which, how, and for whom aspects of the urban environment influence brain health and cognitive health in 600 mid-aged and older (50-79 years) community dwellers living in Barcelona, Spain. Specifically, we will examine:
- The associations of physical and social attributes of the participants’ neighbourhood environment and other activity locations with changes in cognitive function and brain health.
- The extent to which these changes are explained by lifestyle behaviours (physical activity, sedentary time, quality of sleep, social and cognitive activities.
- The extent to which the observed associations depend on personality traits and genetic predisposition to dementia.
This prospective observational study will collect longitudinal data through a 7-day objective assessment of mobility behaviours and lifestyle activities. A subsample of 200 participants will be subsequently invited to undertake Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) brain scans to further assess brain health parameters. This will be repeated two years after.
Principal Investigator (IP)
- Mark J Nieuwenhuijsen Research Professor, Director of the Urban Planning, Environment and Health Initiative, and Director of the Air pollution and Urban Environment Programme
- Glòria Carrasco Research Technician
- Marta Cirach GIS Technician
- Irina Pérez Research Technician
- Beatriz García Fernández Field Technician
- Sergio Baraibar Field Technician
- Andrea Labrado Student
- Albert Berron Research Technician
- Berta Franch Research Technician
Other projectsSee Past Projects
European Study of Cohorts for Air Pollution Effects
Cardiovascular Health effects of Air pollution in Andhra Pradesh, Indiahttp://www.chaiproject.org
Engaging Citizens in Science: Promoting the Viability of Participatory Sensing for Monitoring Air and Environmental Qualityhttp://www.esaire.eu
Integrating Environment and Health Research: a Vision for the EUhttps://www.heraresearcheu.eu
Signs of Early Adaptation to Climate Changehttps://www.early-adapt.eu
Impact of the health crisis due to COVID-19 on Physical Activity and Mental Health in Spain