Laura García Otero is a specialist in Obstetrics and Gynecology (Hospital Clínic Barcelona) . She started working as a clinical researcher at BCNatal Fetal Medicine Research Center after receiving a research grant in Maternal-Fetal Medicine “Premi Emili Letang”. She obtained the Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate in Fetal and Perinatal Medicine entitled “Fetal cardiovascular remodelling in HIV pregnancies” Universitat de Barcelona, Leuven University and Lund University. She performed her mobility period in Adama (Ethiopia) within the project from Lund University "The role of maternal TB infection for adverse pregnancy and infant health outcome in Ethiopia-a long-term prospective cohort study".
Her main areas of expertise are maternalfetal medicine, fetal echocardiography as well as infectious diseases during pregnancy.
Lines of research
- Maternal fetal medicine
- Infectious diseases during pregnancy
- García-Otero L, López M, Gómez O, Goncé A, Bennasar M, Martínez JM, Valenzuela-Alcaraz B, Rodriguez-López M, Sitges M, Loncà M, Bijnens B, Crispi F, Gratacós E. Zidovudine treatment in HIV-infected pregnant women is associated with fetal cardiac remodelling. AIDS. 2016; 30(9):1393-401.
- García-Otero L, Gómez O, Rodríguez-López M, Torres X, Soveral I, Sepúlveda-Martínez A, Guirado L, Valenzuela-Alcaraz B, López M, Martínez JM, Gratacós E, Crispi F. Nomograms of fetal cardiac dimensions at 18 to 41 weeks of gestation. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2019:1-12. doi: 10.1159/000494838.
- García-Otero L, López M, Guitart-Mampel M, Morén C, Goncé A, Esteve C, Salazar L, Gómez O, Martínez JM, Torres B, César S, Garrabou G, Crispi F, Gratacós E. Cardiac and mitochondrial function in HIV-uninfected fetuses exposed to antiretroviral treatment. PLoS One. 2019;14(3):e0213279. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0213279.
- Hernández S, Catalán-Garcia M, Morén C, García-Otero L, López M, Guitart-Mampel M, Milisenda J, Coll O, Cardellach F, Gratacós E, Miró Ò, Garrabou G. Placental Mitochondrial Toxicity, Oxidative Stress, Apoptosis And Adverse Perinatal Outcomes In Hiv-Pregnancies Under Antiretroviral Treatment Containing Zidovudine. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017; 75(4):e113-e119.