The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in five programs: Climate, Air Pollution, Nature and Urban Health; Environment and Health over the Lifecourse; Global Viral and Bacterial Infections; Malaria and Neglected Parasitic Diseases and Maternal Child and Reproductive Health. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is seeking a Medical Research Fellow who is interested in taking over and managing activities related to several projects in the Tuberculosis area. Under the lead of Alberto García-Basteiro (PI), the research group on Tuberculosis focuses on 4 main lines of investigation:
- Determine disease burden in vulnerable populations (children, HIV-infected, pregnant)
- Assess the impact of innovative strategies for the active search for cases based on spatial parameters, population density and microbial load in index cases
- Evaluate new diagnostic tools in contexts of high prevalence of TB and HIV
- Evaluate new biomarkers for the diagnosis and treatment of TB
- Implementation of Clinical Trials and Observational studies on Tuberculosis
- Assists with the design and development of research protocols and operating procedures
- Assist with the design and development of research protocols
- Creation and maintenance of database; data collection for monitoring and evaluation of research programs; performance of data analyses, interpretation and reporting of results
Coordination and communication:
- Supervision and coordination of research studies.
- Management of adverse events of study participants.
- Communication with sponsors
- Follow up with the implementing partners for progress report
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post but may evolve at any time in the future as duties and responsibilities change and/or develop providing there is appropriate consultation with the post-holder.
This job description is not a definitive or exhaustive list of responsibilities but identifies the key responsibilities and tasks of the post holder. The specific objectives of the post holder will be subject to review as part of the individual professional assessment process.
Training and experience /Qualifications
- Post-graduate training in Preventive Medicine, Internal Medicine, Respiratory Medicine, or Family Medicine
- Minimum of 4 years of clinical experience after graduation
- Experience respiratory and Infectious diseases.
- Formal training in research methods will be an asset. Experience in clinical trials will be an asset.
- Good organizational skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Accuracy/attention to detail
- Time management and ability to prioritize workload
The post holder will adhere to ISGlobal principles contained in People management policy, including Equity, diversity and health safety. The post holder will respect, and accountable to ensure ISGlobal policies and procedures.
- English (C1) and Portuguese (B2)
- Duration: 2 years with the possibility of renewal
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Contract: Full time
- Salary Range: According to experience and qualifications. With an expat salary complement.
- Based on Monzambique
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: MedicalResearchFellow_TB_Jan24, attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until the position is filled.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.
Diverse candidacies, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation, physical abilities, and political views, are encouraged to apply.
1-Interview phase of a technical nature, with the team that requires the incorporation. To assess the person's skills and CV.
2-Meeting with HR with the finalist(s) to finish assessing the profile and discuss contractual and institutional issues.
If needed any technical test could be pass. A Psychological Competency Evaluation Test will be required for the structural or transversal positions.
In accordance with the OTM-R principles, a gender-balanced recruitment panel is formed for every vacancy at the beginning of the process. After reviewing the content of the applications, the panel will start the interviews, with at least one technical and one administrative interview. A profile questionnaire as well as a technical exercise may be required during the process.
In ISGlobal we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such as age, gender, marital status, race, ethnicity, functional diversity, political leanings, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
ISGlobal supports the initiative #ScienceforUkraine. Therefore, to sustain Ukraine’s presence in the European Research Area and international scholarly community, candidates from Ukraine on all levels of scholarly career are welcome: students, PhD candidates, early career researchers and senior scholars.
We confirm our commitment towards the value of the diversity of our staff and student population and seek to promote peace, equity, diversity and inclusion as essential elements in contribution to improving health worldwide.