Mònica Ubalde has a background in Biological Sciences (1997), holds a Master in Occupational Health (2011) and a PhD in Biomedicine (2016). She is trained in Social Epidemiology in the field of Occupational Health. Specifically she has expertise on assessing the impact of chronic conditions and multimorbidity on target occupational outcomes, and how working life trajectories impact the course of health from a life course perspective.
She is associated professor at the University Pompeu Fabra where she develops her teaching activity. She is currently a senior postdoctoral researcher in the Air Pollution and Urban Environment group, where she works on the UIA (Urban Innovative Actions) Project that will evaluate the impact of interventions to transform primary schools in Barcelona into climate change refuges.
Lines of Research
- Urban environment
- Climate change
- Health impact evaluation
- Social epidemiology
- Lear A, Ubalde-Lopez M, Serra L. Labor market situation after an episode of sickness absence due to malignant neoplasia. Evidence from a Spanish cohort. BMC Public Health 2019; 19(1):506.
- Ubalde-Lopez M, Arends I, Almansa J, Delclos GL, Gimeno D, Bültmann U. Beyond return to work: The effect of multimorbidity on work functioning trajectories after sick leave due to common mental disorders. J Occu Rehabil 2017; 27(2): 210-217.
- Ubalde-Lopez M, Delclos GL, Benavides FG, Calvo-Bonacho E, Gimeno D. The effect of multimorbidity on sickness absence by specific diagnoses. Occup Med (London) 2017; 67(2):93-100.
- Ubalde-Lopez M, Delclos GL, Benavides FG, Calvo-Bonacho E, Gimeno D. Measuring multimorbidity in a working population: the effect on incident sickness absence. International archives of occupational and environmental health 2016; 89(4); 667-678.
- Murcia G, Delclos J, Ubalde M, Calvo E, Benavides FG. Has the Spanish economic crisis affected the duration of sickness absence episodes? Soc Sci Med 2016; 160:29-34.