Cristina Alonso-VegaClinical Trial Monitor Chagas
Cristina Alonso-Vega graduated as medical doctor from the University of Oviedo in Spain. She holds a medical specialization in Clinical Biology from the Free University of Brussels (ULB) and a Tropical Medicine degree from the Prince Leopold Institute in Antwerp, Belgium.
After graduating, she moved to Bolivia where she worked more than ten years in congenital joint Chagas disease project between the Belgium Cooperation, the “Universidad Mayor de San Simon” at Cochabamba, and the National Program of Chagas Disease. During this time, she conducted in-depth research on the immunological mechanisms involved in the Congenital transmission of the Chagas Disease. She also was responsible for the National Training Program and Quality Control for the diagnostic and handling of the congenital Chagas disease in the implementation of the Congenital Chagas Disease National Program.
From 2013 to 2018, she worked as Clinical Research Associate (CRA) in Chagas clinical trials developed by DNDi in cooperation with CEADES and ISGlobal, with the participation of UMSS in Cochabamba, UAJMS in Tarija and SEDES-Chuquisaca in Sucre. She is associated researcher of IIBISMED-UMSS and she was in charge of immunology module in UMSS Tropical Medicine Masters Degree.
In 2013, she received the IUIS and Gates foundation award for young immunologists in developing countries.
In March 2019, she joined the ISGlobal team as CRA based in Bolivia.
Lines of Research
- Chagas disease treatment
- Congenital Chagas disease
- Chagas disease immunology
- Treatment of adult chronic indeterminate Chagas disease with benznidazole and three E1224 dosing regimens: a proof-of-concept, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Torrico F, Gascon J, Ortiz L, Alonso-Vega C, Pinazo MJ, Schijman A, Almeida IC, Alves F, Strub-Wourgaft N, Ribeiro I; E1224 Study Group. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018 Jan 15. pii: S1473-3099(17)30538-8. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(17)30538-
- Congenital infection with Trypanosoma cruzi primes cord blood Vd2 T cells to proliferate in response to isopentenyl pyrophosphate Alonso-Vega C, Hermann E, Truyens C, Berthe A, Flores A, Parrado R, Torrico F and Carlier Y (2013) Front. Immunol. Conference Abstract: 15th International Congressof Immunology (ICI). doi: 10.3389/conf.fimmu.2013.02.00901
- Achievements and challenges upon the implementation of a program for national control of congenital Chagas in Bolivia : results 2004-2009 Alonso-Vega C, Billot C, Torrico F (2013) PLoS Negl Trop Dis 7(7): e2304. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0002304
- Immunological status of mothers infected with Trypanosoma cruzi. Alonso-Vega C, Hermann E, Truyens C, Rodriguez P, Torrico MC, Torrico F, Carlier Y. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2005;38 Suppl 2:101-4.
- Human fetuses are able to mount an adult-like CD8 T cell response Emmanuel Hermann, Carine Truyens, Cristina Alonso-Vega, Jos Even, Patricia Rodriguez, Aurélie Berthe, Eric Gonzalez-Merino, Faustino Torrico and Yves Carlier. Blood, Vol 100, Nº6, Sep.2002