Otavio Ranzani MD MSc (Epi) PhD believes in science as a social construct to improve and promote global health and the wellness of our being. He completed his medical training in Brazil (Internal Medicine and Critical Care specialist), MSc in Epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and PhD at the University of São Paulo (USP).
He is a researcher with a far-reaching overview of current society health problems, with a strong methodological reasoning and international experience in low- and middle-income countries and Europe. He received international awards and competitive scholarships (Wellcome Trust, European Respiratory Society, Instituto de Salud Carlos III).
Otavio is passionate about new statistical methods application and proud to use science to add voice to health disparities and social inequities. His current work focus on air pollution and cardiovascular and respiratory diseases, post-tuberculosis burden and vulnerable populations, and quality improvement initiatives in critical care.
Lines of research
- Global health
- Social and environmental determinants
- Critical care
- Clinical trials
- Causal inference
- Ranzani OT, Rodrigues L, Bombarda S, Minto C, Waldman EA, Carvalho CRR. Long-term survival and cause-specific mortality of patients newly diagnosed with tuberculosis in São Paulo state, Brazil, 2010-15: a population-based, longitudinal study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2020; 20(1):123-132.
- Ranzani OT, Milà C, Sanchez M, Bhogadi S, Kulkarni B, Balakrishnan K, Sambandam S, Sunyer J, Marshall JD, Kinra S, Tonne C. Association between ambient and household air pollution with carotid intima-media thickness in peri-urban South India: CHAI-Project. Int J Epidemiol. 2020 49(1):69-79.
- Ranzani OT, Bastos LSL, Gelli JGM, Marchesi JF, Baião F, Hamacher S, Bozza FA. Characterisation of the first 250,000 hospital admissions for COVID-19 in Brazil: a retrospective analysis of nationwide data. Lancet Respir Med. 2021; 9(4):407-418.
- Ranzani OT, Prina E, Menéndez R, Ceccato A, Cilloniz C, Méndez R, Gabarrus A, Barbeta E, Bassi GL, Ferrer M, Torres A. New Sepsis Definition (Sepsis-3) and Community-acquired Pneumonia Mortality. A Validation and Clinical Decision-Making Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;196(10):1287-1297.
- Prina E, Ranzani OT, Torres A. Community-acquired pneumonia. Lancet. 2015 12;386(9998):1097-1108.