Juan Carlos Gabaldón-Figueira is a medical doctor and parasitologist. He obtained his medical degree from the Universidad de los Andes, in Merida, Venezuela and an MSc in Medical Parasitology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM).
He has collaborated in several projects on the epidemiological characterisation of malaria in southern Venezuela.
As a predoctoral fellow at ISGlobal, Gabaldón-Figueira studies the pathogenesis of cardiac damage in Chagas disease, under the supervision of Dr. Julio A. Padilla and Dr. Joaquim Gascón.
Lines of research
- Pathogenesis of Chagas disease
- Lipotoxicity and myocardial damage
- Microvascular damage and thrombosis in Chagas disease
- JC Gabaldón-Figueira, L Villegas, ME Grillet, J Lezaun, L Pocaterra, et al. Malaria in Venezuela: Gabaldón's legacy scattered to the winds. The Lancet Global Health 9 (5) (2021), e584-e585
- Gabaldón-Figueira, J.C., Chaccour, C., Moreno, J. et al. The malaria burden of Amerindian groups of three Venezuelan states: a descriptive study based on programmatic data. Malar J 20, 285 (2021).
- Juan C Gabaldón-Figueira, Siham Salmen, Nubia Silva, Betania Mancilla. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of patients with malaria admitted to a hospital in Mérida, Venezuela. Transactions of The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (2020)
- C Chaccour, A Casellas, A Blanco-Di Matteo, I Pineda, JC Gabaldón-Figueira, et al. The effect of early treatment with ivermectin on viral load, symptoms and humoral response in patients with non-severe COVID-19: A pilot, double-blind, placebo-controlled. EClinicalMedicine 32, 100720 (2021)