Ariadna Curto is an environmental epidemiologist with strong interest in global and planetary health and with extensive experience in the assessment of exposure to personal, household and ambient air pollution. Her background is in environmental sciences and public health.
She got her PhD in ISGlobal for her work on exposure to air pollution and its effects on cardiometabolic health in low- and middle-income countries. In June 2019 she joined the Behaviour, Environment and Cognition Research Program in the Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research in Melbourne (Australia) to study the spatio-temporal variation of ultrafine particles and black carbon in urban areas.
Ariadna is currently a postdoctoral fellow at ISGlobal, participating in the development of a new environmental hub in Manhiça (Mozambique) to promote environmental health studies in southern Africa.
Lines of research
- Air pollution
- Exposure assessment
- Urban health
- Cardiometabolic health
- Global environmental health
- Milà C, Curto A, Dimitrova A, Sreekanth V, Kinra S, Marshall JD, Tonne C. Identifying predictors of personal exposure to air temperature in peri-urban India. Science of the Total Environment. 2020. 707 (136114). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.136114
- Curto A, Donaire-Gonzalez D, Manaca MN, González R, Sacoor C, Rivas I, Gascon M, Wellenius GA, Querol X, Sunyer J, Macete E, Menéndez C, Tonne C. Predictors of personal exposure to black carbon among women in southern semi-rural Mozambique. Environment International. 2019. 131 (104962). https://doi.org/10.1016/j. envint.2019.104962
- Curto A, Wellenius GA, Milà C, Sanchez M, Ranzani O, Marshall JD, Kulkarni B, Bhogadi S, Kinra S, Tonne C. Ambient particulate air pollution and blood pressure in peri-urban India. Epidemiology. 2019. 30(4):492-500. https://doi.org/10.1097/EDE. 0000000000001014
- Donaire-Gonzalez D, Curto A, ..., Nieuwenhuijsen MJ. Personal assessment of the external exposome during pregnancy and childhood in Europe. Environmental Research. 2019. 174:95-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2019.04.015
- Curto A, Donaire-Gonzalez D, Barrera-Gómez J, Marshall JD, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Wellenius GA, Tonne C. Performance of low-cost monitors to assess household air pollution. Environmental Research. 2018.163:53–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2018.01.024