- Jeffrey Lazarus (ISGlobal)
- Gilead Sciences HCV-STAT Programme
The objective of this study is to eliminate hepatitis C virus (HCV) in the autonomous community of the Balearic Islands using the micro-elimination approach. The project aims to reach patients with a history of drug use who are treated in the different governmental and non-governmental addiction service centres, a mobile methadone unit, or are in prison, in order to test and link people who use drugs to HCV care.
The purpose of this project is to diagnose and treat hepatitis C in this key population group with a new model of care that simplifies the current diagnosis process and facilitates linkage to care and subsequent treatment initiation.
In the different addiction services centres (Unitats de Conductes Addictives; UCAs), patients will be screened for HCV using a saliva-based rapid detection test (Oraquick®, Orasure Technologies Inc.,) to detect the presence of HCV antibodies (HCV Ab) followed by a dried blood spot (DBS) sample to confirm viremia (HCV-RNA). Treatment will be prescribed by a hepatologists to those patients who are positive for the infection via telemedicine and will be delivered and administered at the same addiction services centres. To confirm the completion of treatment and sustained virologic response (SVR), in addition to possible reinfections, monitoring utilizing DBS will be carried out for up to a year after treatment completion.
The project commenced its testing activities in April 2021 and has been implemented in the 17 target study sites, 12 are in place in the Island of Mallorca, two in Ibiza and three in Menorca. As of May 2022, 813 people have been tested, of which 13% (n=107) had an active hepatitis C infection (HCV-RNA+). Of those, 79% (n=84) have started treatment and 53% (n=57) of them have already finished it.
Photo: Andrea Herranz. Poster of the project in one of the addiction services centres (UCA).
Photo: Andrea Herranz. Health staff from Projecte Home (non-governmental addiction service centres) explaining the project to a participant.
This project is led by the ISGlobal Health Systems Research group in collaboration with Hospital Universitari Son Llàtzer, Hospital Universitari Son Espases, Hospital Comarcal d’Inca, Hospital Comarcal de Manacor (Mallorca), Hospital General Mateu Orfila (Menorca), Hospital Can Misses (Ibiza), Hospital Vall d’Hebron (Barcelona) and is funded through the competitive research call HCV STAT, by Gilead Sciences.
- Eliminating hepatitis C on the Balearic Islands by linking patients who use drugs from addiction service centers, a local NGO, a prison and a mobile methadone bus to HCV care. JV Lazarus et al. HepHIV Conference, May 2021.
- A new model of care for hepatitis C launched after 1 year of the COVID-19 pandemic in the Balearic Islands: first results. JV Lazarus et al. INHSU 2021 conference.
- Eliminando la hepatitis C en las Islas Baleares: intervención en Projecte Home Balears. Socidrogalcohol 2021.
- Eliminating hepatitis C in the Balearic Islands, Spain: a study in governmental and non-governmental addiction service centres to test and link people who use drugs to HCV care. IVHEM 2021.
- HCV micro-elimination strategies for the PWUD population of the Balearic Islands. EASL Hepatitis monothematic 2022.
- Nuevo modelo de atención para la micro eliminación de la hepatitis C en PWUD de las Islas Baleares. 47º congreso AEEH 2022.
- A new model of care for HCV elimination in PWUD in the Balearic Islands, Spain. INSHU 2022.
- Lazarus JV, Herranz A, Picchio CA, Villota-Rivas M, Rodríguez A, Alonso JM, Moratinos A, Perrotta A, Tegeo E, Bibiloni F, Buti M, Vilella À. Eliminating hepatitis C on the Balearic Islands, Spain: a protocol for an intervention study to test and link people who use drugs to treatment and care. BMJ Open. 2021 Oct 21;11(10):e053394. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2021-053394. PMID: 34675021; PMCID: PMC8532552. pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34675021.
Otros proyectosVer proyectos pasados
Hepatitis B Virus COMmunity Screening and Vaccination in Africans
Combatiendo la Resistencia Bacteriana en Europa
Erradicación del Pian
Application to medical devices
Combatting Bacterial Resistance in Europe - Carbapenem Resistance
Prioritising Antimicrobial Resistance: establishing an interdisciplinary International Research Partnership to tackle an evolving global health threat
An interdisciplinary International Research Partnership to tackle an evolving global health threat
Development of new metal-antibiotics against pathogens causing chronic infections in patients with cystic fibrosis.
New metal-antibiotics for patients with cystic fibrosis
Non-invasive ultrasound-based screening for meningitis: Proof-of concept in infants
Improved case detection through TB contact risk stratification by Xpert results and spatial parameters in Mozambique
Evaluation of the effect of weekly high dose rifapentine and isoniazid (3HP) vs periodic 3HP vs 6H for preventing TB among HIV-positive individuals
Search for new target proteins and use of antibacterial or inhibitory peptides against resistance mechanisms in 'Acinetobacter baumannii'
Optimizing provider-initiated HIV testing, linkage, and retention in care in the district of Manhiça, Mozambique
Integrating and decentralizing diabetes and hypertension services in Africa
Searching the hidden: evaluating dengue, chikungunya and Zika autochthonous transmission in the city of Barcelona.
Eficacia de hidroxicloroquina en la prevención de la infección por SARS-CoV-2 y de la gravedad de la enfermedad de COVID-19 durante el embarazo
Estudio piloto para evaluar el potencial de la ivermectina para reducir la transmisión de COVID-19
Cendea de Cizur
Conèixer la propagació. Entendre la protecció
A breakthrough device for the rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance
Large Clinical Trial in Africa on the Treatment of Mild Cases of COVID-19
Evaluating a new stool based qPCR for diagnosis of tuberculosis in children and people living with HIV
Close the Gap, Increase Access, Provide Adequate Therapy
Strengthening Epidemiological Surveillance in Benin and Burkina Faso for an Effective Response to COVID-19
Air Pollution in Relation to COVID-19 Morbidity and Mortality: A Large Population-Based Cohort Study in Catalonia
Reconnecting Transmission to Global Tuberculosis Control by Mapping Pathogen Transmission Events to Host Infection Status
Quantifiable stool-based TB PCR to Improve Diagnostics and Treatment Monitoring
ENDing COVID-19 Variants Of concern through Cohort studies (END-VOC)