Prof Jeffrey V Lazarus (PhD, MIH, MA) is the head of the Health Systems Research Group at ISGlobal and Associate Professor at the University of Barcelona as well as a full professor at the CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy. He earlier served as Professor at LUHS Medical Academy, Lithuania, and as Affiliated Professor at CHIP, the WHO Collaborating Centre on HIV and Viral Hepatitis at Rigshospitalet, the University of Copenhagen, and at the University of Porto, Portugal.
His decade-long career as a health systems, HIV and viral hepatitis expert at WHO’s Regional Office for Europe was followed by three years at the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. He is the past Vice-Chair of the EASL International Liver Foundation, Board Chair of AFEW International and he was the first director of Health Systems Global. He currently serves as co-chair of the HIV Outcomes Beyond Viral Suppression coalition, a member of the board of directors of the SHARE Global Health Foundation and as a member of the EASL Public Health and Policy Committee and the Global NASH Council and is part of the ICE-HBV, ACHIEVE and AEHVE viral hepatitis elimination coalitions as well as the technical advisory group of CGHE. He co-chairs the annual Innovations in NAFLD Care (INCBCN) meeting and is chair of the Wilton Park NAFLD meetings.
He is the author of more than 350 publications, and is principal investigator of multiple global consensus statements as well as the HCV Free Baleares, VH-COMSAVAC, COVID-VAC and NAFLD research and policy studies. He has had continuous competitive funding for over a decade. In 2017 he joined the Lancet GastroHep Commission on viral hepatitis and in 2018 became a working group chair of the EASL-Lancet European Liver Commission. He is the lead of the Nature #COVIDconsensus and a co-author of The Lancet COVID-19 Commission. He is on the editorial board of HIV Medicine, the International Journal of Drug Policy and the Journal of Hepatology.
Líneas de investigación
- Health systems
- HIV and AIDS
- Viral hepatitis
- Lazarus, JV, Mark, HE, Allen, AM, Arab, JP, Carrieri, P, Noureddin, M, Alazawi, W, Alkhouri, N, Alqahtani, SA, Arrese, M, Bataller, R, Berg, T, Brennan, PN, Burra, P, Castro-Narro, GE, et al. A global research priority agenda to advance public health responses to fatty liver disease. J Hepatol. 2023. doi:10.1016/j.jhep.2023.04.035
- Lazarus, JV, Romero D, Kopka CJ, et al. A multinational Delphi consensus to end the COVID-19 public health threat. Nature. 2022;611(7935):332-345. doi.org/10.1038/s41586-022-05398-2
- Lazarus JV, Mark HE, Villota-Rivas M, et al. The global NAFLD policy review and preparedness index: Are countries ready to address this silent public health challenge?. J Hepatol. 2022;76(4):771-780. doi:10.1016/j.jhep.2021.10.025
- Lazarus JV, Safreed-Harmon K, Kamarulzaman A, et al. Consensus statement on the role of health systems in advancing the long-term well-being of people living with HIV. Nature Commun. 2021;12(1):4450. doi.org/10.1038/s41467-021-24673-w
- Lazarus, JV, Anstee, QM, Hagström, H, et al. Defining comprehensive models of care for NAFLD. Nature Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021;18(10):717-729. doi.org/10.1038/s41575-021-00477-7
- Lazarus JV, Ratzan, SC, Palawey, A. et al. A global survey of potential acceptance of a COVID-19 vaccine. Nature Medicine. 2020;27(2):225-228. doi:10.1038/s41591-020-1124-9.
- Safreed-Harmon K, Anderson J, Azzopardi-Muscat N, Behrens GMN, d'Arminio Monforte A, Davidovich U, Del Amo J, Kall M, Noori T, Porter K, Lazarus JV. Reorienting health systems to care for people with HIV beyond viral suppression. Lancet HIV. 2019;6(12):e869-e877. doi:10.1016/S2352-3018(19)30334-0