Ten early-stage researchers have the opportunity of starting a top scientific career in ISGlobal under the ”laCaixa” Doctoral INPhINIT Incoming Fellowship programme, and boost the chances of obtaining an independent research position worldwide. Promoted by the ”la Caixa” Foundation, this doctoral fellowship programme offers 35 PhD fellowships to support the best scientific talent and foster innovative and high-quality research in Spain and Portugal, in the fields of technology, engineering, physics, mathematics, life and health sciences.
ISGlobal, being a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence and member of the CERCA programme of the Generalitat de Catalunya, is included among the eligible centers for this year's programme.
Our institution offers ten PhD positions in the following research projects:
- 5G exposure and neuropsychological effects in children and adolescents (Elisabeth Cardis, Radiation Programme)
- Computer Vision to understand the cellular fundamentals of aging using stem cell microscopy in regenerative medicine (Paula Petrone, Biomedical Data Science Group)
- Exploring the environmental origins of disease: early-life exposure to noise and air pollution and neurodevelopment in children(Maria Foraster, Childhood and Environment Research Programme)
- Fight against Malaria: Probing Plasmodium falciparum GPI biosynthesis for drug target discovery (Luis Izquierdo Lázaro, Plasmodium Glycobiology Lab)
- Gold molecules to fight against multidrug-resistant bacteria (Sara M Soto, Antimicrobial resistance initiative)
- New therapeutic strategy against pathogens: Aptamer-based inhibition of vesicle trafficking (Xavier Fernández Busquets, ISGlobal-IBEC research group)
- The epidemiology and health impact assessment of urban and transport planning and climate action in Europe (Mark Nieuwenhuijsen, Air Pollution and Urban Enviornment)
- Transfer deep learning for personalized medicine in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) using radiogenomics big data (Juan R Gonzalez, Bioinformatic Research Group in Epidemiology)
- Transition into a seasonally ice-free Arctic: physical impacts and consequences for ecosystems and society (Ivana Cvijanovic, Climate and Health Research Programme)
- Understanding migrant health and life adjustments through wearables technologies (Guillaume Chevance, eHealth group)
In addition to financial support —the programme offers a 3-year employment contract at the research centre—, the fellowship includes a training programme on cross-cutting skills such as technology transfer, entrepreneurship, commercialisation of innovation, intellectual property, leadership, creativity, communication, teamwork, personal development, planning, assertiveness and networking.
The selection process is ensured by the ”la Caixa” Foundation, and candidates should apply before January 27, 2022. The selected fellows, as well as the candidates on the reserve list, when applicable, will be published on the ”la Caixa” Foundation website on June 8, 2022.