Amanda Fernandes studied Sport Sciences at the Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Brazil, where she graduated with a diploma in 2013.
She joined the Belo Horizonte Observatory for Urban Health at the Federal University of Minas Gerais in Brazil to study urban health and evaluate the impact of a community-based program in low-income neighbourhoods for her M.Sc (2015). In her doctoral work, Amanda Fernandes studied how daily mobility affects the assessment of environmental effects on health as a part of her internship at INSERM in Paris (2018) with Dr Basile Chaix. She returned to INSERM as a postdoc fellow on the MINDMAP study (2019).
She is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the ISGlobal Programme on Childhood & Environment working on the role of the urban exposome in child development as part of two European H2020 projects: LifeCycle and EUCAN-Connect. Specifically, she is leading a systematic review of school-based interventions to mitigate urban hazards and improve health outcomes, including cognitive function and learning, in primary school children. Also, she is analyzing data from more than 125,000 European children to shed light on the influence of urban green spaces exposures on child health and development.
Línies de recerca
- Urban Exposome
- Urban Green Spaces
- High-Resolution Exposure Assessment
- Child Cognitive development
- Child Mental Health
- Urban interventions design & evaluation
- Fernandes A., Van Lenthe F.J. Vallée J., Chaix B. (2020). Linking physical and social environments with mental health in old age: a multisensor approach for continuous real-life ecological and emotional assessment. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health. J Published Online First: 04 November 2020. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jech-2020-214274
- Vidigal J.M., Caldeira J., Martins-Costa H., Firmino R., Fernandes, A. (2020). From diagnosis to action: experiences in promoting physical activity and health, a logic model of the “Lazer Mais Saúde” program in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Brazilian Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 24, (e105). doi: https://doi.org/10.12820/rbafs.24e0105.
- Andrade A.C., Mingoti S.A., Fernandes A.; Andrade R., Friche A.G., Xavier C., Proietti F.A., Diez Roux A.V., Caiaffa W. (2018). Neighborhood-based physical activity differences: Evaluation of the effect of the health promotion program. PLoS One,13(2).doi : https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0192115
- Fernandes A., Andrade A.C., Dias M.A., Malta D.C., Caiaffa W. (2017). Health Academies Program and the promotion of physical activity in the city: the experience of Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais state, Brazil. The Ciencia & Saude Coletiva Journal, 22, 3903-3914. doi : 10.1590/1413-812320172212.25282017
- Fernandes A., Andrade A.C., Ramos C.G., Dias M.A., Friche A.A., Xavier C., Proietti F.A., Caiaffa W.(2015). Leisure- time physical activity in the vicinity of “Academias da Cidade Program” in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais State, Brazil: the impact of a health promotion program on the community. Cadernos de Saúde Pública Journal, 31,195 – 207.