Denise NanicheScientific Director
After undergraduate work at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), Denise Naniche obtained a PhD in Immunology in 1993 at the Université Claude Bernard in Lyon, France for work in measles virology and immunology. She later completed a Master in Public Health/Epidemiology at San Diego State University.
Denise has nearly twenty years of experience managing and leading research projects, supervising PhD students and teaching. Her research draws on her expertise in clinical immunology and epidemiology to address issues in infectious diseases relevant to low and middle income countries (LMIC). She worked on HIV antibody neutralization at the Centre d’Immunologie de Marseille Luminy in France as well as on measles immunology and vaccine responses at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla California prior to joining the ISGlobal team in 2004. At ISGlobal, she has dedicated the past 15 years to research in sub-Saharan Africa focusing on improving access to HIV diagnosis, treatment and control, working mainly in Mozambique. She is active in the supervision of Master and PhD students and teaches vaccinology in the ISGlobal Master of Global Health.
Lines of research
- Development and simplification of diagnostic algorithms for acute HIV infection and antiretroviral treatment failure in the context of resource-limited LMIC
- Evaluation of new policies and/or interventions aiming to streamline the HIV cascade of care from testing to viral suppression
- Judge M, Parker E, Naniche D, Le Souëf P. Gene Expression: the Key to Understanding HIV-1 Infection? Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2020 May 13;84(2): e00080-19. doi: 10.1128/MMBR.00080-19
- Fuente-Soro L, Iniesta C, López-Varela E, Cuna M, Guilaze R, Maixenchs M, Bernardo EL, Augusto O, Gonzalez R, Couto A, Munguambe K, Naniche D. Tipping the balance towards long-term retention in the HIV care cascade: A mixed methods study in southern Mozambique. PLoS One. 2019 Sep 27;14(9): e0222028. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0222028
- Rocafort M, Noguera-Julian M, Rivera J, Pastor L, Guillén Y, Langhorst J, Parera M, Mandomando I, Carrillo J, Urrea V, Rodríguez C, Casadellà M, Calle ML, Clotet B, Blanco J, Naniche D, Paredes R. Evolution of the gut microbiome following acute HIV-1 infection. Microbiome. 2019 May 11;7(1):73. doi: 10.1186/s40168-019-0687-5
- Lopez-Varela E, Fuente-Soro L, Augusto OJ, Sacoor C, Nhacolo A, Karajeanes E, Vaz P, Naniche D. Continuum of HIV Care in Rural Mozambique: The Implications of HIV Testing Modality on Linkage and Retention. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2018 Aug 15;78(5):527-535. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000001720
- Fuente-Soro L, Lopez-Varela E, Augusto O, Sacoor C, Nhacolo A, Honwana N, Karajeanes E, Vaz P, Naniche D. Monitoring progress towards the first UNAIDS target: understanding the impact of people living with HIV who re-test during HIV-testing campaigns in rural Mozambique. J Int AIDS Soc. 2018 Apr;21(4):e25095. doi: 10.1002/jia2.25095
- Pastor L, Casellas A, Rupérez M, Carrillo J, Maculuve S, Jairoce C, Paredes R, Blanco J, Naniche D. Interferon-g-Inducible Protein 10 (IP-10) as a Screening Tool to Optimize Human Immunodeficiency Virus RNA Monitoring in Resource-Limited Settings. Clin Infect Dis. 2017. Oct 30;65(10):1670-1675. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix600