Build your career in Global Health
- September - January
- 5.250 Euros plus university fees (academic year 2023-24)
- Full time
- 5 months
- 30 ECTS
The ISGlobal-University of Barcelona (UB) Diploma of Global Health Fundamentals is a UB-specific postgraduate course designed for students and professionals seeking to acquire the foundational knowledge necessary to address health issues from a global and interdisciplinary perspective. The programme offers the knowledge necessary to face current challenges in global health and prepares students to join organisations that work for health equity around the world.
The Diploma consists of 30 ECTS or about five months of study and includes the required coursework of the Master of Global Health programme of studies. Diploma graduates may choose to continue their studies and complete the full Master's degree with the approval of the programme directorate.
Designed for students and professionals from diverse backgrounds (health and life sciences, social sciences, law and economics, etc.) who want to develop a career in the field of global health in:
- international organisations
- ministries of health
- cooperation and development agencies
- public-private partnerships
- other stakeholders of the global health international community
The ISGlobal-University of Barcelona Diploma of Global Health Fundamentals is carried out in collaboration with academic institutions, research centres and NGOs in the health sector.
Our faculty come from diverse disciplines and have extensive experience working in global health with internationally recognised universities, research centres and public-private partnerships. Professors bring their real world experience, as professionals and leaders in the field, to our classrooms.
The Diploma of Global Health Fundamentals consists of 30 ECTS or about five months of full-time study, which runs from September through January. All courses take place at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Barcelona.
The programme combines lectures and active and participatory teaching methods. Students learn by doing and by solving problems, using a collaborative and interdisciplinary approach.
Programme of Studies
Diploma of Global Health Fundamentals candidates complete the following 8 courses:
- Biostatistics for Global Health (4 ECTS)
- Determinants of Global Health (3 ECTS)
- Fundamentals of Epidemiology (5 ECTS)
- Fundamentals of Qualitative Health Research (3 ECTS)
- Global Health Challenges (4 ECTS)
- Health Economics (3 ECTS)
- Health Systems and Policy (4 ECTS)
- International Governance and Politics of Global Health (4 ECTS)
Candidates who graduate from the Diploma of Global Health Fundamentals are eligible to finish the Master of Global Health by completing the Advanced Topics in Global Health and Master Final Project modules with the approval of the programme directorate.
Marta García Ascaso, Student of the 2014-2015 Class
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in health or life sciences or social sciences.
- At least one year of professional experience, preferably related to global health (internship and volunteer experience will be considered).
- Advanced level of English (if not a native English speaker, candidates need to provide an internationally recognized English proficiency certificate equivalent to a TOEFL score of 550 paper/213 internet/80 online, or IELTS score 6.).
We also value:
- Previous professional or voluntary experience in low- and middle-income countries or settings and/ or with vulnerable populations / communities
- Exposure to multicultural environments
Interested candidates for the Diploma of Global Health Fundamentals must complete the application form and attach the following documentation:
- A current C.V. clearly stating academic qualifications and work experience
- A letter of motivation explaining their interest in Global Health, including past or current experience (academic and/or professional) and highlighting specific areas of professional interest.
Candidates who meet entry requirements will be invited to an admissions interview.
Academic year 2024-25 Admissions Calendar
First Application Period: From 12 September to 24 November 2023
Notification of the admission: 15 December 2023
Second Application Period: From 25 November 2023 to 19 January 2024
Notification of the admission: 16 February 2024
Third Application Period: From 20 January to 22 March 2024
Notification of the admission: 19 April 2024
Applications received after 22 March 2023 will be reviewed on a rolling basis depending on the places available in the programme.