- Jan 01, 2015 - Dec 31, 2018
- Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades. Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Unión Europea. This project is co-funded by the Fondo Europeo de Desarrollo Regional (FEDER). “Una manera de hacer Europa”.
Currently a large partion of available antibiotics are not suitable for the treatment of multiresistant pathogens. Sometimes the choice of treatment is reduced to a single drug, such as colistin for P. aeruginosa and Acinetobacter. The lack of profitability has led to a decline in R+D for new antibiotics by the pharmaceutical industry. There is therefore a clear need for new antibacterial agents, mainly against multi-resistant Gram-negative bacilli.
The main objective of this project is the design of new antibacterial agents against P. aeruginosa, A. baumannii and K. pneumoniae by various approaches:
1. Characterization of potential inhibitors of efflux systems, we have found by docking, 50 compounds (from two libraries of compounds) that potentially can inhibit efflux pumps. These compounds will be characterized in detail.
2. To optimize peptides with activity against the organisms being studied. We have 18 antibacterial peptides with potential capacity and its stability and toxicity will be studied. Of those the three peptides with increased activity and stability and less toxicity, the "in vivo" activity will be investigated;
3. Characterization of two-component systems (TCS). By analysis "in silico" found 41 potential TCS in A. baumannii. The aim is to study its involvement in virulence and essentiality, in order to find possible inhibitors that would have antibacterial activity and antivirulencia;
4. Design and study of the antibacterial activity of peptide-oligonucleotide and siderophore-oligonucleotide hybrids. Oligonucleotides inhibit mRNA expression of some essential genes, whereas either peptide or siderophor will be used as transport systems across the cell wall. Once designed these hybrids will be tested both "in vitro" and "in vivo".
- Jordi Vila Research Professor, director de la Iniciativa de Resistencias Antimicrobianas y codirector del Programa de Infecciones Víricas y Bacterianas
Otros proyectosVer proyectos pasados
Combatiendo la Resistencia Bacteriana en Europa
Erradicación del Pian
Application to medical devices
Combatting Bacterial Resistance in Europe - Carbapenem Resistance
Prioritising Antimicrobial Resistance: establishing an interdisciplinary International Research Partnership to tackle an evolving global health threat
An interdisciplinary International Research Partnership to tackle an evolving global health threat
Development of new metal-antibiotics against pathogens causing chronic infections in patients with cystic fibrosis.
New metal-antibiotics for patients with cystic fibrosis
Non-invasive ultrasound-based screening for meningitis: Proof-of concept in infants
Improved case detection through TB contact risk stratification by Xpert results and spatial parameters in Mozambique
Evaluation of the effect of weekly high dose rifapentine and isoniazid (3HP) vs periodic 3HP vs 6H for preventing TB among HIV-positive individuals
Search for new target proteins and use of antibacterial or inhibitory peptides against resistance mechanisms in 'Acinetobacter baumannii'
Optimizing provider-initiated HIV testing, linkage, and retention in care in the district of Manhiça, Mozambique
Integrating and decentralizing diabetes and hypertension services in Africa
Searching the hidden: evaluating dengue, chikungunya and Zika autochthonous transmission in the city of Barcelona.
Eficacia de hidroxicloroquina en la prevención de la infección por SARS-CoV-2 y de la gravedad de la enfermedad de COVID-19 durante el embarazo
Estudio piloto para evaluar el potencial de la ivermectina para reducir la transmisión de COVID-19
Cendea de Cizur
Conèixer la propagació. Entendre la protecció
A breakthrough device for the rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance
Large Clinical Trial in Africa on the Treatment of Mild Cases of COVID-19
Hepatitis B Virus COMmunity Screening and Vaccination in Africans
Evaluating a new stool based qPCR for diagnosis of tuberculosis in children and people living with HIV
Eliminating hepatitis C on the Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza): a study in governmental and non-governmental addiction service centres, a mobile methadone unit and a prison to test and link people who use drugs to HCV care.
Close the Gap, Increase Access, Provide Adequate Therapy
Strengthening Epidemiological Surveillance in Benin and Burkina Faso for an Effective Response to COVID-19
Air Pollution in Relation to COVID-19 Morbidity and Mortality: A Large Population-Based Cohort Study in Catalonia
Reconnecting Transmission to Global Tuberculosis Control by Mapping Pathogen Transmission Events to Host Infection Status
Quantifiable stool-based TB PCR to Improve Diagnostics and Treatment Monitoring
ENDing COVID-19 Variants Of concern through Cohort studies (END-VOC)