Lucy studied Immunology at the University of Glasgow in Scotland, has a Masters in Public Health from Miguel Hernández University in Alicante, and was awarded a European PhD in Public Health from the same University in 2011, for which she spent 3 months at the World Health Organization in Geneva, at the Secretariat of the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. She has varied international field experience, having worked on numerous projects with Medecins sans Frontieres, such as carrying out operational research on HIV/AIDS in Swaziland, working on childhood malnutrition in Niger, or carrying out medico-humanitarian surveillance and rapid response in the Democratic Republic of Congo. She has been involved in numerous emergency epidemic response teams including Ebola in Liberia in 2014, and Cholera in South Sudan in 2015 and 2016. She is currently working as a Lecturer at the Department of Public Health, History of Science and Gynecology at Miguel Hernández University where she also coordinates the Masters Programme in Development Cooperation. She is a guest lecturer in the Masters in Public Health and Communicable Diseases of the National University of Misiones, Posadas, Argentina. Current research interests include implementation science, specifically exploring how to improve implementation of public health recommendations to prevent non-communicable diseases in resource-limited settings.
Lines of Research
- Social determinants of health
- Epidemiological methodology in low-resource settings
- Implementation science
- Parker LA, Rumunu J, Jamet C, Kenyi Y, Lino RL, Wamala JF, Mpairwe AM, Muller V, Llosa AE, Uzzeni F, Luquero FJ, Ciglenecki I, Azman AS. Neighborhood-targeted and case-triggered use of a single dose of oral cholera vaccine in an urban setting: Feasibility and vaccine coverage. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017 Jun 8;11(6):e0005652.
- Parker LA, Rumunu J, Jamet C, Kenyi Y, Lino RL, Deng LL, Wamala JF, Mpairwe AM, Ciglenecki I, Luquero FJ, Azman AJ, Cabrol JC. Adapting to the global shortage of cholera vaccines: use of a targeted single dose of cholera vaccine in response to an outbreak in South Sudan. Lancet Inf Dis. 2017 Apr;17(4):e123-e127.
- Parker LA, Jobanputra K, Okello V, Nhlangamandla M, Mazibuko S, Kourline T, Kerschberger B, Pavlopoulos E, Teck R. Implementation and Operational Research: Barriers and Facilitators to Combined ART Initiation in Pregnant Women With HIV: Lessons Learnt From a PMTCT B+ Pilot Program in Swaziland. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015;69(1):e24-30.
- Parker LA, Jobanputra K, Rusike L, Mazibuko S, Okello V, Kerschberger B, Jouquet G, Cyr J, Teck R. Feasibility and effectiveness of two community-based HIV testing models in rural Swaziland. Trop Med Int Health. 2015;20(7):893-902.
- Hosseinpoor AR, Parker LA, Tursan d’Espaignet E, Chatterji S. Social Determinants of Smoking in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: Results from the World Health Survey. Su Z, editor. PLoS One [Internet]. 2011;6(5):7.