Learn from a network of leading institutions in Global Health and improve health for people around the world...
- September - July
- Barcelona, and other locations based on tropEd mobility credits
- University of Barcelona-ISGlobal core course 175€/credit (tuition cost 2023-24 academic year)
- 60 ECTS
Like the Master of Global Health programme, the tropEd Master of Global Health is a interdisciplinary University of Barcelona-specific programme that will allow you to acquire the knowledge and develop the skills and capacities you need to tackle current global health challenges.
Candidates for the tropEd Master of Global Health have the opportunity to experience a wide range of research and study environments and to select Advanced Topics courses from a list of more than 100 options when they enroll in tropEd accredited courses at other member institutions. In addition, candidates are invited to participate in special tropEd student activities and events.
Graduates who have successfully completed tropEd Master’s degree requirements and have at least one year of relevant professional experience (see guidelines) can additionally apply for the tropEd recognition.
By the end of the programme you will be able to:
- Analyse the factors that affect the health of the global population, with emphasis on the most vulnerable groups
- Evaluate the complex relationship between health and other areas, such as economics, politics, anthropology, social, and environmental sciences
- Design effective and sustainable solutions to address health equity in a globalised world
Designed for students and professionals from diverse backgrounds (health and life sciences, social sciences, law and economics, etc.) who want to develop a career in the field of global health in:
- International organisations
- Ministries of health
- Cooperation and development agencies
- Public-private partnerships
- Academic institutions
- Other stakeholders of the global health international community
The tropEd Master of Global Health is intended for professionals who wish to work in their field of study and does not offer access to doctoral studies.
The ISGlobal-University of Barcelona tropEd Master of Global Health is carried out in collaboration with academic institutions, research centres and NGOs in the health sector.
Our faculty come from diverse disciplines and have extensive experience working in global health with internationally recognised universities, research centres and public-private partnerships. Professors bring their real world experience as professionals and leaders in the field, to our classrooms.
The tropEd Master of Global Health is a modular Master’s degree programme. Candidates complete the core course at ISGlobal-University of Barcelona (the “home institution”), advanced courses in mobility, and an 18-credit research project, usually at their home institution.
The programme combines lectures and active and participatory teaching methods. Students learn by doing and by solving problems, using a collaborative and interdisciplinary approach.
Programme of Studies
UB-ISGlobal Core Course ("Global Health Fundamentals I") · 20 ECTS · required courses
- Global Health Challenges
- Health Systems and Policies
- Research Methods for Global Health:
- Fundamentals of Epidemiology
- Biostatistics for Global Health
- Fundamentals of Qualitative Health Research
Advanced Courses in Global Health · 22 ECTS · elective courses
At least 10 ECTS must be completed through tropEd accredited courses at other tropEd member institutions).
At the University of Barcelona, tropEd students can select the following Advanced Topics courses:
- Determinants of Global Health
- Development and Application of Vaccines in Global Health
- Global Environmental Health
- Global Health Management
- Global Health Responses to Emergencies and Humanitarian Crises
- Health Economics
- International Governance and Politics of Global Health
- Maternal and Reproductive Health in Global Health
- Undernutrition and Food Security
tropEd candidates from other member institutions who are interested in completing advanced courses credits in Barcelona should complete this form, indicating the course in which they are interested and noting that they are tropEd candidates in their letter of motivation.
Master's Final Project (thesis) · 18 ECTS · required research project
tropEd Master of Global Health students must develop and present an 18-credit thesis (representing 450 hours of student investment time) and defend it before a Faculty Tribunal. Candidates who complete the ISGlobal-UB core course will usually also complete the Master's Final Project here, although they may develop it at another institution. tropEd Master Final Projects are required to have an external supervisor or an external member on the Faculty Tribunal.
Graduates of this programme who have successfully completed tropEd requirements can additionally apply for the tropEd recognition.
tropEd is an international network of institutions that offer postgraduate programmes in International and Global Health. Established in 1996 in Europe, tropEd became a global network in 2005. tropEd institutions work together to provide postgraduate students with high-quality educational and research opportunities in diverse universities and research centres around the world.
ISGlobal-UB tropEd Master of Global Health students can actively participate in the tropEd network via their Student Representatives.
Welcome to the Master of Global Health
Francesca Russo, tropEd student 2015-2016
Barcelona, the capital city of Catalonia (one of Spain’s 17 autonomous provinces), is a vibrant coastal city on the Mediterranean Sea. Students will find many cultural activities, events, museums, and opportunities for sport available to them during their stay.
Barcelona.cat offers updates on events around the city and a Barcelona app.
Some students choose to find shared flats or rent their own individual housing during their Master course. There are many websites that provide rental listings for flats and shared flats in the city. In addition, ISGlobal maintains a relationship with the Barcelona Centre Universitari (BCU), which can provide information and advice on housing and activities, among other things, to our Master’s and Diploma candidates.
Barcelona has an excellent integrated network of public transportation, including metro, tramvia, buses and regional trains. Various types of multi-trip metro cards are available for purchase from machines in metro stations. One option for getting around the city is Bicing, a public bicycle rental service that runs on an annual membership basis. There is also the possibility of hourly or daily car rental with various services. And, since Barcelona is a fairly dense city, it is also often possible to reach your destination on foot.
Barcelona enjoys a generally temperate weather. Although in the summer months the heat can sometimes rise to the 40s Celcius, it is a generally moderate climate without extreme temperatures or weather.
Although the Master and Diploma of Global Health are offered entirely in English, Catalonia’s two official languages are Catalan and Spanish. For students who are interested, the University of Barcelona’s Institute of Hispanic Studies offers courses in Spanish as a foreign language from beginner to advanced levels. You can also join Catalan courses offered through the UB and tailored to university students. Many other language schools and centres, including some sponsored by the government, also offer courses.
Throughout the year, Master’s degree and Diploma students are invited to attend special events and activities in addition to classes and seminars, beginning with the annual Global Health Programme Inaugural Lecture, which is given by an invited speaker each year in October.
In late December, we invite students to join a special End of Year celebration and, of course, we gather to celebrate the End of Course in June.
Other events from past years have included a special guest lecture on “The Books that Changed My Life” in celebration of Sant Jordi’s Day (St. George’s Day).
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in health or life sciences or social sciences.
- At least one year of professional experience, preferably related to global health (internship and volunteer experience will be considered).
- Advanced level of English (if not a native English speaker, candidates need to provide an Internationally recognized English proficiency certificate equivalent to a TOEFL score of 550 paper/213 internet/80 online, or IELTS score 6.).
We also value:
- Previous professional or voluntary experience in low- and middle-income countries/settings and/or with vulnerable populations / communities
- Exposure to multicultural environments
Interested candidates for the tropEd Master of Global Health must complete the application form and attach the following documentation:
- A current C.V. clearly stating academic qualifications and work experience.
- A letter of motivation explaining their interest in Global Health, including past or current experience (academic and/or professional), highlighting specific areas of professional interest, and addressing their interest in the tropEd programme specifically.
Candidates who meet entry requirements will be invited to an admissions interview.
Academic year 2024-25 Admissions Calendar
First Application Period: From 12 September to 24 November 2023
Notification of the admission: 15 December 2023
Second Application Period: From 25 November 2023 to 19 January 2024
Notification of the admission: 16 February 2024
Third Application Period: From 20 January to 22 March 2024
Notification of the admission: 19 April 2024
Applications received after 22 March 2023 will be reviewed on a rolling basis depending on the places available in the programme.