- 01/01/2018 - 31/12/2020
- Jordi Vila
- Funded by
- Mineco, Feder, ISCIII
At present a large proportion of available antibiotics are not suitable for the treatment of multiresistant pathogens. Sometimes the possibilities of choice are reduced to a single drug, as is the case of colistin for A. baumannii, in addition the new antibiotics are not active against this microorganism. In a recent document, the WHO positions A.baumannii at the top of the list of multiresistant microorganisms for which further research is required to find new antibacterial agents.
The main objective of this project is the design of new antibacterial agents against A. baumannii through several approaches:
1. Characterization of the role of active efflux systems (AESs) as well as other outer membrane proteins and double component systems in the virulence and resistance to antibiotics in A. baumannii, in order to search for potential target proteins;
2. Study of the capacity of blocking AESs by cyclic peptides;
3. We have a peptide with good antibacterial activity and its stability is being studied and its activity in vivo is also being investigated using a model of sepsis. The peptide will be optimized by synthesizing its enantiomer.
4. We have synthetized a peptide-oligonucleotide hybrid and in this project we will investigate its bactericidal capacity both in vitro and in vivo.
- Jordi Vila Research Professor, Director of the Antimicrobial Resistance Initiative and Head of the Viral and Bacterial Infections Programme
Other projectsSee Past Projects
Combating Bacterial Resistance In Europe
Application to medical devices
Combatting Bacterial Resistance in Europe - Carbapenem Resistance
Prioritising Antimicrobial Resistance: establishing an interdisciplinary International Research Partnership to tackle an evolving global health threat
An interdisciplinary International Research Partnership to tackle an evolving global health threat
Development of new metal-antibiotics against pathogens causing chronic infections in patients with cystic fibrosis.
New metal-antibiotics for patients with cystic fibrosis
Non-invasive ultrasound-based screening for meningitis: Proof-of concept in infants
Improved case detection through TB contact risk stratification by Xpert results and spatial parameters in Mozambique
Evaluation of the effect of weekly high dose rifapentine and isoniazid (3HP) vs periodic 3HP vs 6H for preventing TB among HIV-positive individuals
Optimizing provider-initiated HIV testing, linkage, and retention in care in the district of Manhiça, Mozambique
Integrating and decentralizing diabetes and hypertension services in Africa
Searching the hidden: evaluating dengue, chikungunya and Zika autochthonous transmission in the city of Barcelona.
Eficacia de hidroxicloroquina en la prevención de la infección por SARS-CoV-2 y de la gravedad de la enfermedad de COVID-19 durante el embarazo
Pilot Study to Evaluate the Potential of Ivermectin to Reduce COVID-19 Transmission
Cendea de Cizur
Conèixer la propagació. Entendre la protecció
A breakthrough device for the rapid detection of antimicrobial resistance
Large Clinical Trial in Africa on the Treatment of Mild Cases of COVID-19
Hepatitis B Virus COMmunity Screening and Vaccination in Africans
Evaluating a new stool based qPCR for diagnosis of tuberculosis in children and people living with HIV
Eliminating hepatitis C on the Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza): a study in governmental and non-governmental addiction service centres, a mobile methadone unit and a prison to test and link people who use drugs to HCV care.