Nathan Bertelsen, MD, MScPH, CTropMed, is coordinator for Migrant Health Education at ISGlobal. He is an Associate Professor of Medicine and a practicing physician in Internal Medicine at University of Minnesota Medical Center in USA.
He completed residency training in internal medicine at Cornell University-New York Presbyterian Hospital, BA in government/international relations from Georgetown University, graduate certificate in global mental health from Harvard University, and MScPH from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. He was previously Associate Professor of Medicine and Population Health at New York University School of Medicine in USA and Koç University School of Medicine in Istanbul, Turkey, and taught MPH courses at the NYU campus in Florence, Italy.
In New York, he was Director of Primary Care for the Bellevue/NYU Program for Survivors of Torture. In Turkey, he also worked as Adviser for Research and Training for MSF/OCBA mission to Istanbul. In Costa Rica and Nicaragua, he served on the Board of Directors of the Central American Healthcare Initiative at INCAE Business School.
In his work at ISGlobal, Nathan Bertelsen serves as Director of Education for the International Panel Physicians Association (IPPA), which provides continuing education for panel physicians who conduct immigrant medical evaluations worldwide.
Línies de recerca
- Migrant and refugee health
- Resilience factors
- Medical education
- Connecting healthcare professionals in Central America through management and leadership development: A social network analysis. Prado, A. M., Pearson, A. A., Bertelsen, N. S. & Pagán, J. A., Apr 15 2020, In : Globalization and Health. 16, 1, 34.
- War and Displacement Stressors and Coping Mechanisms of Syrian Urban Refugee Families Living in Istanbul. Arenliu, A., Bertelsen, N., Saad, R., Abdulaziz, H. & Weine, S. M., Jan 1 2019, In : Journal of Family Psychology.
- Primary Care Screening Methods and Outcomes for Asylum Seekers in New York City. Bertelsen, N. S., Selden, E., Krass, P., Keatley, E. S. & Keller, A., Feb 1 2018, In : Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 20, 1, p. 171-177.
- Teaching global health with simulations and case discussions in a medical student selective. Bertelsen, N. S., Dalla Piazza, M., Hopkins, M. A. & Ogedegbe, G., Jul 4 2015, In : Globalization and Health. 11, 1, 28.
- The global health curriculum of weill cornell medical college: How one school developed a global health program. Francis, E. R., Goodsmith, N., Michelow, M., Kulkarni, A., McKenney, A. S., Kishore, S. P., Bertelsen, N., Fein, O., Balsari, S., Lemery, J., Fitzgerald, D., Johnson, W. & Finkel, M. L., Sep 2012, In : Academic Medicine. 87, 9, p. 1296-1302.