- Judith Garcia Aymerich
- Página web
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a major cause of disease, disability and death in European adults and lung function is a critical objective marker of good lung health, strongly associated with other major chronic diseases (for example, cardiovascular disease) and is a major independent determinant of overall health status.
This study will improve our understanding of risk factors for low lung function, respiratory disability and the development of COPD, by using information held within existing cohort studies. Even though COPD has long been viewed as a predominantly smoking-related disease, there is increasing awareness that lifestyle and environment contribute to disease even from very early in life, including before birth.
To deliver this work stream, ALEC has 7 workpackages focused on:
- Study management
- Risk factor identification: pre-conception and transgenerational
- Risk factor identification: childhood
- Risk factor identification: adulthood
- Generation of new data from ECRHS and SAPALDIA on change in DNA methylation (DNAm)
- Integration and Translation of findings into a predictive risk score for COPD
We are leading the workpackage focused on adulthood, with the following objectives and methods:
- To identify and validate the causal role of plausible and novel risk factors for lung function decline within existing population based cohorts, taking into account changes in exposure over time.
- To strengthen causal inference of the role of these risk factors by integrating biomarker and genetic information, using structural equation modelling as well as Mendelian randomisation.
- To describe the association of lung function decline with the development of respiratory disability within the population based cohorts.
- To integrate information with other work packages:
- assess the role of transgenerational, preconception and early life risk factors identified on lung function decline,
- integrate findings into risk models as they arise, c) suggest pathways for mechanistic investigation,
- identify risk factors and appropriate exposure metrics for integration in predictive risk score.
- To integrate and summarise findings into a conceptual model for lung function decline in adults.
Investigador principal (IP)
Judith Garcia Jefa del programa de Enfermedades No Transmisibles y Medio Ambiente
Anne-Elie Carsin Técnica estadística
Xavier Basagaña Associate Research Professor
Maria Gabriela Prado Peralta
Jan-Paul Zock Associate Research Professor:
Josep M. Antó Research Professor
Jordi Sunyer Research Professor
Payam Dadvand Associate Research Professor
Stefano Guerra Visiting Scholar
Otros proyectosVer proyectos pasados
Estudio multi-caso control poblacional, incluyendo tumores de alta incidencia en España
Physical Activity as a Crucial Patient Reported Outcome in COPD
Social and environmental determinants of physical activity in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): a qualitative and quantitative epidemiological study
Network on the Coordination and Harmonisation of European Occupational Cohorts
Impact Of Pollution on Asthma and Rhinitis
Exposome Project for Health and Occupational Research
Severe respiratory failure in COVID-19: clinical, biological and imaging risk factors
Valorización del Archivo Europeo del Genomas y Fenomas (EGA) para la Industria y la Sociedad
Connecting digital mobility assessment to clinical outcomes for regulatory and clinical endorsement
Cohorte Covid-19 en Cataluña
Signs of Early Adaptation to Climate Change
Exposure to emerging contaminants in drinking water in Barcelona potentially liked to chronic diseases and wellbeing
Las Voces de los Afectados por la Nefropatía Mesoamericana
Co-created educational programme for dyspnea-bearing patients and their caregivers
Risk of colorectal and breast cancer with widespread drinking water chemical contaminants
Cohorte de COVID-19 en España: dinámica social, salud mental y desigualdades
EXposome Powered tools for healthy living in urbAN SEttings
Air Pollution in Relation to COVID-19 Morbidity and Mortality: A Large Population-Based Cohort Study in Catalonia
¿Es mejor consumir el agua de grifo si queremos reducir la exposición a nano/micropláticos?
Characterization of Oral NMP Exposure
In-Depth Genomics and Cross-Omics Analysis for Undiagnosed Rare Diseases on a User-Friendly Collaborative Platform
Digital Twins Enabled Indoor Air Quality Management for Healthy Living
Infection acquisition in early life and health outcomes in childhood - MARATO TV3
The Urban Burden of Disease Estimation for POLICY Making
Exposición prenatal a sustancias poli y perfluoradas en agua de consumo y neurodesarrollo en el inicio de la vida
Project Code: PI20/00829