Isabelle Munyangaju is a Mozambique-based medical doctor and public health professional working in the field of Infectious Diseases (mainly Tuberculosis and TB/HIV co-infections) for the past 10 years in clinical and programmatic management.
She has worked 2 years in Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto (South Africa), 3 years in Eswatini (1 year with MSF and 2 years with the Ministry of Health in Eswatini as a medical officer for the Nhlangano Drug Resistant TB Ward) and for the past 5 years in Mozambique as a technical advisor (mostly for EGPAF) giving technical support to the National TB program, as well as the clinical teams in Gaza and Inhambane Provinces.
She is a medical graduate of Witwatersrand University (South Africa) and holds Masters degrees in Infectious Diseases (LSHTM), Vaccinology (Universita de Siena, Italy) and Global MBA (University of London).
Having been awarded a “la Caixa” Foundation doctoral fellowship in 2021; she is currently pursuing a PhD with ISGlobal Barcelona and the University of Barcelona looking into the optimization of pediatric TB diagnosis using imaging techniques and evaluation of radiation exposure of children diagnosed and treated for TB. The study will compare practices in Mozambique, South Africa and Spain.
Lines of research
- Public Health
- Health System Strengthening
- Osório DV, Munyangaju I, Muhiwa A, Nacarapa E, Nhangave AV, Ramos JM. Lipoarabinomannan Antigen Assay (TB-LAM) for Diagnosing Pulmonary Tuberculosis in Children with Severe Acute Malnutrition in Mozambique. J Trop Pediatr. 2021 Jul 2;67(3):fmaa072. doi: 10.1093/tropej/fmaa072. PMID: 33038897; PMCID: PMC8319630.
- Munyangaju I, Langa MAS, Clemens SAC, Marchetti E. Evaluation of the partnership between international non-governmental organizations and the State in the health sector in Mozambique. Pan Afr Med J. 2021 Jun 1;39:91. doi: 10.11604/pamj.2021.39.91.25970. PMID: 34466193; PMCID: PMC8379398.
- Nacarapa E, Verdu ME, Nacarapa J, Macuacua A, Chongo B, Osorio D, Munyangaju I, Mugabe D, Paredes R, Chamarro A, Revollo B, Alexandre SS, Simango M, Torrus D, Ramos-Rincon JM. Predictors of attrition among adults in a rural HIV clinic in southern Mozambique: 18-year retrospective study. Sci Rep. 2021 Sep 9;11(1):17897. doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-97466-2. PMID: 34504234; PMCID: PMC8429703.
- Osório D, Munyangaju I, Nacarapa E, Muhiwa A, Nhangave AV, et al. (2021) Mother-to-child transmission of HIV infection and its associated factors in the district of Bilene, Gaza Province—Mozambique. PLOS ONE 16(12): e0260941. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0260941