Mireia Gascon, biologist, has gained wide and varied experience in research in the field of environmental epidemiology.
She started conducting epidemiological studies on both occupational (Costa Rica - MSc project) and population-based studies (Spain - PhD). During her PhD she focused on estimating the impact of pre-and postnatal exposures to chemicals on child health. As a key component of this work, Gascon coordinated the follow-up of a birth cohort in Ribera d'Ebre (Spain) among children aged 12-13 years, and during this period she also participated in several other epidemiological projects —both European and national level— also focused on child health (e.g. ENRIECO, CHICOS and HELIX).
She is currently focused on improving scientific understanding of the health impacts of the built environment and transport planning. Since January 2019 she is also coordinating the postnatal follow-up of the Barcelona Life Study Cohort (BiSC), which has the aim to study the impacts of prenatal exposure to air pollution on children’s neurodevelopment and other health outcomes.
In 2019 she was awarded the Miguel Servet fellowship [from Instituto de Salud Carlos III
and co-funded by European Union (ESF, “Investing in your future”)] to study the early life effects of environmental exposures on the immune system and the underlying mechanisms of such effects, including the study of the gut human microbiota.
Lines of research
- Child health
- Urban health
- Nielsen CC*, Gascon M*, Tun HM, Osornio-Vargas AR, Shier C, Guttman DS, Becker AB, Azad MB, Sears MR, Lefebvre DL, Moraes TJ, Turvey SE, Subbarao P, Takaro TK, Brook JR, Scott JA, Mandhane PJ, Kozyrskyj AL. Natural environments in the urban context and gut microbiota in young infants. Environment International 2020; 142:105881. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2020.105881. *First authorship is shared.
- Vert C, Sánchez-Benavides G, Martínez D, Gotsens X, Gramunt N, Cirach M, Molinuevo JL, Sunyer J, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Crous-Bou M, Gascon M. Effect of long-term exposure to air pollution on anxiety and depression in adults: a cross-sectional study. Int J of Hyg and Environ Health 2017; 220(6):1074-1080. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2017.06.009.
- Gascon M, Triguero-Mas M, Martinez D, Dadvand P, Rojas-Rueda D, Plasencia A, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ. Residential green spaces and mortality: A systematic review. Environ International 2016; 86: 60-67. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2015.10.013.
- Gascon M, Casas M, Morales E, Valvi D, Ballesteros-Gomez A, Luque N, Rubio S, Monfort N, Ventura R, Martinez D, Sunyer J, Vrijheid M. Prenatal exposure to bisphenol A and phthalates and childhood respiratory tract infections and allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2015; 135(2): 370-378. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2014.09.030.
- Gascon M, Morales E, Sunyer J, Vrijheid M. Effects of persistent organic pollutants on the developing respiratory and immune systems: A systematic review. Environ Int. 2013 52C: 51-65. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2012.11.005.