Mònica Guxens is a Medical Doctor specialized in Preventive Medicine and Public Health. In 2008 she obtained the PhD degree and the competitive contract “Río Hortega” (4th position). She began as postdoctoral researcher in CREAL during 2 years, and then expanded her researcher career in The Netherlands. In 2013 she obtained the competitive contract “Miguel Servet type I” (1st position) and became Assistant Research Professor at ISGlobal starting her trajectory as group leader. In 2019 she obtained the competitive contract “Miguel Servet type II” (4th position) and became Associate Research Professor.
She has led several national and international projects, and actively participated as co-investigator in others, building a profile for excellence with international funding. She has been invited to give several keynotes in national and international institutions and conferences. In 2016 she won the prestigious Walter A. Rosenblith New Investigator Award from Health Effects Institute, USA, as acknowledgement to her exceptional trajectory and promising professional career. In 2018 she became director of the INMA Project, for which she has been member of the directive committee since 2006 and co-principal investigator of one of the sub-cohorts since 2014. She is Associate Editor of the European Journal of Epidemiology since 2019.
Lines of Research
- Role of several environmental factors, mainly air pollution, noise, light, electromagnetic fields, and persistent and non-persistent chemicals, on child’s growth and development, in particular brain development and sleep.
- Large expertise on birth cohort studies.
- Guxens M, Lubczynska MJ, Muetzel R, Dalmau-Bueno A, Jaddoe VWV, Hoek G, van der Lugt A, Verhulst FC, White T, Brenukreef B, Tiemeier H, El Marroun H. Air pollution exposure during fetal life, brain morphology, and cognitive function in school-age children. Biol Psychiatry. 2018;84(4):295-303
- Ghassabian A, Pierotti L, Basterrechea M, Chatzi L, Estarlich M, Fernández-Somoano A, Fleisch AF, Gold DR, Julvez J, Karakosta P, Lertxundi A, Lopez-Espinosa MJ, Mulder TA, Korevaar TIM, Oken E, Peeters RP, Rifas-Shiman S, Stephanou E, Tardón A, Tiemeier H, Vrijheid M, Vrijkotte TGM, Sunyer J, Guxens M. Association of Exposure to Ambient Air Pollution With Thyroid Function During Pregnancy. JAMA Netw Open. 2019;2(10):e1912902
- Cabré-Riera A, Torrent M, Donaire-Gonzalez D, Vrijheid M, Cardis E, Guxens M. Telecommunication devices use, screen time, and sleep in adolescents. Environ Res. 2019;171:341-347
- Birks LE, Struchen B, Eeftens M, Huss A, Gajsek P, Kheifets L, Gallastegi M, van Wel L, Dalmau-Bueno A, Estarlich M, Fernandez M, Meder IK, Ferrero A, Jiménez-Zabala A, Torrent M, Vrijkotte TGM, Cardis E, Olsen J, Valic B, Vermeulen R, Vrijheid M, Röösli M, Guxens M. Spatial and temporal variability of personal exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields in children in Europe. Environ Int. 2018;117:204-221
- Guxens M, Ghassabian A, Gong T, Garcia-Esteban R, Porta D, Giorgis-Allemand L, Almqvist C, Aranbarri A, Beelen R, Badaloni C, Cesaroni G, de Nazelle A, Estarlich M, Forastiere F, Forns J, Gehring U, Ibarluzea J, Jaddoe VW, Korek M, Lichtenstein P, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Rebagliato M, Slama R, Tiemeier H, Verhulst FC, Volk HE, Pershagen G, Brunekreef B, Sunyer J. Air Pollution Exposure during Pregnancy and Childhood Autistic Traits in Four European Population-Based Cohort Studies: The ESCAPE Project. Environ Health Perspect. 2016;124(1):133-40
Other Author's Profiles