Dr. Jaume Ordi is Professor of Pathology at the University of Barcelona, Research Professor at the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGLOBAL), and senior consultant in pathology of infectious diseases and gynaecological pathology at the Hospital Clínic of Barcelona.
He is involved in both clinical care and research activities. He pioneered minimally invasive tissue sampling (MITS) as a technique to determine cause of death in low- and middle-income settings. He is involved in a multi-institutional collaboration to determine the cause of death of stillbirth, neonates and children under five in multiple sites throughout sub-Saharan Africa and South-East Asia, utilizing the MITS technique. In addition, his research focuses on the identification of biomarkers of disease and progression in human papillomavirus (HPV) associated cancers and premalignant lesions, and in the use of digital pathology in routine diagnosis and teaching.
Lines of research
- Minimally invasive tissue sampling (MITS) to determine cause of death in low- and middle-income settings
- Biomarkers of disease and progression in human papillomavirus (HPV) associated cancers and premalignant lesions
- Digital pathology
1. Nicolás I, Marimon L, Barnadas E, Saco A, Rodríguez-Carunchio L, Fusté P, Martí C, Rodriguez-Trujillo A, Torne A, Del Pino M, Ordi J. HPV-negative tumors of the uterine cervix. Mod Pathol. 2019 Mar 25. doi: 10.1038/s41379-019-0249-1.
2. Hurtado JC, Quintó L, Castillo P, Carrilho C, Fernandes F, Jordao D, Lovane L, Navarro M, Casas I, Bene R, Nhampossa T, Santos Ritchie P, Bandeira S, Sambo C, Chicamba V, Mocumbi S, Jaze Z, Mabota F, Ismail MR, Lorenzoni C, Guisseve A, Rakislova N, Marimon L, Castrejon N, Sanz A, Cossa A, Mandomando I, Munguambe K, Maixenchs M, Muñoz-Almagro C, Macete E, Alonso P, Vila J, Bassat Q, Menéndez C, Martínez MJ, Ordi J. Postmortem Interval and Diagnostic Performance of the Autopsy Methods. Sci Rep. 2018 Oct 31;8(1):16112. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-34436-1.
3. Rakislova N, Clavero O, Alemany L, Saco A, Quirós B, Lloveras B, Alejo M, Pawlita M, Quint W, Del Pino M, de Sanjose S, Ordi J; VVAP study group. "Histological characteristics of HPV-associated and -independent squamous cell carcinomas of the vulva: A study of 1,594 cases". Int J Cancer. 2017; 141(12):2517-2527. doi: 10.1002/ijc.31006.
4. Bassat Q, Castillo P, Martínez MJ, Jordao D, Lovane L, Hurtado JC, Nhampossa T, Santos Ritchie P, Bandeira S, Sambo C, Chicamba V, Ismail MR, Carrilho C, Lorenzoni C, Fernandes F, Cisteró P, Mayor A, Cossa A, Mandomando I, Navarro M, Casas I, Vila J, Munguambe K, Maixenchs M, Sanz A, Quintó L, Macete E, Alonso P, Menéndez C, Ordi J. Validity of a minimally invasive autopsy tool for cause of death determination in pediatric deaths in Mozambique: An observational study. PLoS Med. 2017 Jun 20; 14(6):e1002317. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002317.eCollection 2017 Jun.
5. Castillo P, Martínez MJ, Ussene E, Jordao D, Lovane L, Ismail MR, Carrilho C, Lorenzoni C, Fernandes F, Bene R, Palhares A, Ferreira L, Lacerda M, Mandomando I, Vila J, Hurtado JC, Munguambe K, Maixenchs M, Sanz A, Quintó L, Macete E, Alonso P, Bassat Q, Menéndez C, Ordi J. Validity of a Minimally Invasive Autopsy for Cause of Death Determination in Adults in Mozambique: An Observational Study. PLoS Med. 2016 Nov 22; 13(11):e1002171. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002171. eCollection 2016 Nov.