Dr. Letang obtained his degree in Medicine and Surgery by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona in 1998. He completed his postgraduate training with an MSc in Tropical Medicine and International Health by the Universitat de Barcelona in 1999; a specialist training in Internal Medicine at Hospital Universitari Mútua de Terrassa in 2005; an MSc in HIV/AIDS by the Universitat de Barcelona in 2009; an MSc in Public Health in Developing Countries by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, in 2010; and a PhD in Medicine by the Universitat de Barcelona in 2011.
His PhD thesis described, characterised and identified the predictors of the HIV-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) associated with Kaposi’s sarcoma for the first time in sub-Saharan Africa.
His postdoctoral clinical and research activity has been developed in the field of HIV/AIDS in Africa. From 2013 to 2016 he worked for the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute and led the Chronic Diseases Clinic of Ifakara in Tanzania and coordinated the Kilombero and Ulanga Antiretroviral Cohort (KIULARCO). Since 2017 he works as an Assistant Research professor at the Barcelona Institute of Global Health, where he is developing a research line in Advanced HIV Disease.
Dr. Letang has presented about forty communications at international conferences, co-authored close to fifty publications in peer-reviewed medical journals, and written five book Chapters / sections.
Since 2005, he regularly participates as a lecturer in various postgraduate and MSc courses imparted by ISGlobal, the Universitat de Barcelona, and the Universitat Pompeu Fabra. He is a Faculty member of the European AIDS Clinical Society (EACS) and collaborate in the on-line clinical training course offered by EACS in collaboration with WHO Europe. He is also part of the WHO Guideline Development Group of the Consolidated HIV Guidelines.
Lines of research
- Advanced HIV Disease
- Opportunistic infections
- AIDS in Africa
- Ntamatungiro AJ, Muri L, Glass TR, Erb S, Battegay M, Furrer H, Hatz C, Tanner M, Felger I, Klimkait T, Letang E; KIULARCO Study Group.. Strengthening HIV therapy and care in rural Tanzania affects rates of viral suppression. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2017 Apr 6. doi: 10.1093/jac/dkx095. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28387865.
- Gamell A, Glass TR, Luwanda LB, Mapesi H, Samson L, Mtoi T, Nyamtema A, Muri L, Ntamatungiro A, Tanner M, Hatz C, Battegay M, Letang E; KIULARCO Study Group.. Implementation and Operational Research: An Integrated and Comprehensive Service Delivery Model to Improve Pediatric and Maternal HIV Care in Rural Africa. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Dec 15;73(5):e67-e75. PubMed PMID: 27846070; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5172808.
- Muri L, Gamell A, Ntamatungiro AJ, Glass TR, Luwanda LB, Battegay M, Furrer H, Hatz C, Tanner M, Felger I, Klimkait T, Letang E; KIULARCO Study Group..Development of HIV drug resistance and therapeutic failure in children and adolescents in rural Tanzania: an emerging public health concern. AIDS. 2017 Jan 2;31(1):61-70. PubMed PMID: 27677163; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5131685.
- Letang E, Lewis JJ, Bower M, Mosam A, Borok M, Campbell TB, Naniche D, Newsom-Davis T, Shaik F, Fiorillo S, Miro JM, Schellenberg D, Easterbrook PJ. Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome associated with Kaposi sarcoma: higher incidence and mortality in Africa than in the UK. AIDS. 2013 Jun 19;27(10):1603-13. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e328360a5a1. PubMed PMID: 23462220.
- Letang E, Almeida JM, Miró JM, Ayala E, White IE, Carrilho C, Bastos R, Nhampossa T, Menéndez C, Campbell TB, Alonso PL, Naniche D. Predictors of immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome-associated with kaposi sarcoma in mozambique: a prospective study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010 Apr;53(5):589-97. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0b013e3181bc476f. PubMed PMID: 19801945.