Her primary research interest is examining environmental and occupational determinants of health in large-scale epidemiological studies with a particular focus on cancer incidence and mortality. She has actively conducted research in both North America and Europe. She has lead several large-scale investigations into the mortality health effects of long-term ambient air pollution exposure in the American Cancer Society Cancer Prevention Study-II. She played a leading role in the analysis of the 7-country INTEROCC study of brain tumour risk, and is founding member of the AllergoOncology Task Force of the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
Michelle Turner served as Work Package Leader - Occupational Exposure to Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) and Risks to Health in the European “Generalised EMF Research Using Novel Methods” study. Most recently, she was unanimously elected as Vice-Chair and Grant Holder of the 37-country European Cooperation in Science and Technology Action funded “Coordination and Harmonization of European Occupational Cohorts (OMEGA-NET)” network which seeks to optimize the use of occupational, industrial, and population cohorts in Europe and provide networking and training opportunities for new researchers. She also serves as Principal Investigator of the OccRF-Health Study of health effects of occupational exposure to radiofrequency (RF) electromagnetic fields - from exposure estimation to evaluation of health effects in workers and their offspring as well as co-Leader in the Exposome Project for Health and Occupational Research (EPHOR) of the EPHOR Mega Cohort Work Package which seeks to provide new evidence of the impact of occupational exposures on the risk of major non-communicable diseases.
She was also recently elected as Secretary-Treasurer 2019-2020 of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE). She also currently holds a Ramón y Cajal fellowship in Spain.
Líneas de investigación
- Air pollution
- Turner MC, Jerrett M, Pope CA III, Krewski D, Gapstur SM, Diver WR, Beckerman BS, Marshall JD, Su J, Crouse DL, Burnett RT. 2016. Long-term ozone exposure and mortality in a large prospective study. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 193:1134-1142.
- Turner MC, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Anderson K, Balshaw D, Cui Y, Dunton G, Hoppin JA, Koutrakis P, Jerrett M. 2017. Assessing the exposome with external measures: commentary on the state of the science and research recommendations. Annual Review in Public Health, 38:215-239.
- Turner MC, Krewski D, Diver WR, Pope III CA, Burnett RT, Jerrett M, Marshall JD, Gapstur SM. 2017. Ambient air pollution and cancer mortality in the Cancer Prevention Study-II. Environmental Health Perspectives, Aug 21;125(8):087013.
- Turner MC, Mehlum IS. 2018. Coordination and Harmonisation of European Occupational Cohorts is Needed. Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 75:474-476.
- Turner MC, Gracia-Lavedan E, Momoli F, Langer CE, Castaño-Vinyals G, Kundi M, Maule M, Merletti F, Sadetzki S, Vermeulen R, Albert A, Alguacil J, Aragones N, Badia F, Bruhim R, Carretero G, Kojimahara N, Lacour B, Morales-Suarez-Varela M, Radon K, Remen T, Weinmann T, Yamaguchi N, Cardis E. 2019. Nonparticipation Selection Bias in the MOBI-Kids Study. Epidemiology, 30:145-153.