- 01/06/2017 - 31/05/2021
- Monika Hierath (EIBIR), Elisabeth Cardis (ISGlobal), Guy Frija (Paris Descartes)
- European Commission
- Página web
MEDIRAD aims to enhance the scientific bases and clinical practice of radiation protection (RP) in the medical field. It will address the need to understand and evaluate the health effects of low dose ionising radiation exposure from diagnostic and therapeutic imaging and from off-target effects in radiotherapy (RT).
MEDIRAD will pursue 3 major operational objectives:
- Improve organ dose estimation and registration to inform clinical practice, optimise doses, set recommendations and provide adequate dosimetry for clinical-epidemiological studies of effects of medical radiation.
- Evaluate and understand the effects of medical exposures, focusing on two major endpoints of public health relevance: cardiovascular effects of low to moderate doses of radiation from RT in breast cancer treatment; and long-term effects on cancer risk of low doses from CT in children.
- Develop science-based consensus policy recommendations for the effective protection of patients, workers and the general public
Over the 4-year project, a multi-disciplinary consortium will, in close interaction with European medical associations MELODI and EURADOS: (1) develop a tool to determine image quality to maximise optimisation of RP in medical imaging, (2) improve and develop new individual organ/anatomical structure dosimetry from chest CT, I131 administration, fluoroscopy-guided procedures, hybrid imaging, and RT for breast cancer and interlinks with image quality measures, (3) conduct epidemiological studies of consequences of RT and CT, (4) identify potential novel imaging and circulating biomarkers and mechanisms of radiation effects, (5) develop innovative risk models, (6) develop and implement for the first time a European repository of patient dose and imaging data, (7) develop science-based recommendations, and (8) introduce novel approaches to bring together the nuclear and medical sectors.
- Elisabeth Cardis Jefa del Programa de Radiación
Otros proyectosVer proyectos pasados
Health effects of cArdiac fluoRoscopy and mOdern radIotherapy in paediatriCs
Generalized EMF research using novel methods. An integrated approach: from research to risk assessment and support to risk management
Characterization of exposure to radiofrequency (RF) induced by new uses and technologies of mobile communication systems
SHAMISEN (Nuclear Emergency Situations - Improvement of dosimetric, Medical And Health Surveillance) - Stakeholder INvolvement in Generating Science (SINGS)
Integrating Environment and Health Research: a Vision for the EU