Prof Jeffrey V. Lazarus is the head of the Health Systems Research Group at ISGlobal and Associate Professor at the University of Barcelona. He earlier served as Professor at LUHS Medical Academy, Lithuania, and as Affiliated Professor at CHIP, the WHO Collaborating Centre on HIV and Viral Hepatitis at Rigshospitalet, the University of Copenhagen, and at the University of Porto, Portugal.
His decade-long career as a health systems, HIV and hepatitis expert at WHO’s Regional Office for Europe was followed by three years at the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria as well as the Board Chair of AFEW International and director of Health Systems Global. He currently serves as Vice-Chair of the EASL International Liver Foundation, where he leads the work on the micro-elimination of hepatitis C, co-chair of the HIV Outcomes Beyond Viral Suppression coalition and a member of the ICE-HBV, ACHIEVE and AEHVE viral hepatitis elimination coalitions.
He is the author of more than 200 publications, and Principal Investigator (PI) of the HCV Free Baleares, HBV COMSAVA, HCV Madrid micro-elimination and NAFLD global policy studies. In 2017 he joined the Lancet GastroHep Commission on viral hepatitis and in 2018 became a working group chair of the EASL-Lancet European Liver Commission. He is on the editorial board of HIV Medicine, the International Journal of Drug Policy and the Journal of Hepatology.
Líneas de investigación
- Health systems
- HIV and AIDS
- Viral hepatitis
- Safreed-Harmon K, Anderson J, Azzopardi-Muscat N, Behrens GMN, d'Arminio Monforte A, Davidovich U, Del Amo J, Kall M, Noori T, Porter K, Lazarus JV. Reorienting health systems to care for people with HIV beyond viral suppression. Lancet HIV. Dec 2019;6(12):e869-e877. Available from: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanhiv/article/PIIS2352-3018(19)30334-0/fulltext
- Lazarus JV, Ekstedt M, Marchesini G, Mullen J, Novak K, Pericàs JM, Roel E, Romero-Gómez M, Ratziu V, Tacke F, Cortez-Pinto H, Anstee QM; EASL International Liver Foundation NAFLD Policy Review Collaborators. A cross-sectional study of the public health response to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in Europe. J Hepatol. 2019 Sep 10.10.1016/j.jhep.2019.08.027.
- Lazarus JV, Pericàs JM, Picchio C, Cernosa J, Hoekstra M, Luhmann N, Maticic M, Read P, Robinson EM, Dillon JF. We know DAAs work, so now what? Simplifying models of care to enhance the hepatitis C cascade. J Intern Med. 2019 Nov. 10.1111/joim.12972.
- Lazarus JV, Safreed-Harmon K, Thursz MR, Dillon JF, El-Sayed MH, Elsharkawy AM, Hatzakis A, Jadoul M, Prestileo T, Razavi H, Rockstroh JK, Wiktor SZ, Colombo M. The micro-elimination approach to eliminating hepatitis C: strategic and operational considerations. Seminars in Liver Disease, 2018 Aug;38(3):181-192.
- Lazarus JV, Safreed-Harmon K, Barton SE, Costagliola D, Dedes N, del Amo Valero J, Gattell JM, Baptista Leite R, Mendão L, Porter K, Vella S, Rockstroh JK. Beyond viral suppression of HIV—the new quality-of-life frontier. BMC Medicine, June 2016.