Payam Dadvand is a medical doctor by training and has a PhD in environmental epidemiology. For the last decade he has conducted pioneering studies on the impacts of both environmental stressors (e.g. air pollution) and environmental mitigation measures (e.g. green spaces) on maternal and child health applying his expertise in using remote sensing data, GIS-based spatial analytical methods, and spatiotemporal modelling approaches.
Honours and Awards
- Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate™ (Web of Science™)
- Rebecca James Baker Award for “scientific excellence, integrity, compassion, resourcefulness, and patience in cross-cultural research for the improvement of public health” awarded by the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE) at the 24th Annual ISEE congress, Columbia, South Carolina, US, 2012.
- Outstanding Abstract by a New Investigator awarded by the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE) at the 24th Annual ISEE congress, Columbia, South Carolina, US, 2012.
- Ramón y Cajal fellowship (2014-2018) awarded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (Ranked one in the field of “clinical medicine and epidemiology” in Spain)
- Juan de la Cierva post-doctoral fellowship (2012-2015) awarded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
- International Research Scholarship (IRS) (2005-2008) awarded by Newcastle University, UK.
- One paper as Issue Highlight in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) and three papers as Science Selection in Environmental Health Perspectives
Líneas de investigación
- Air pollution
- Green spaces
- Climate change
- Maternal and child health
- Dadvand P, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Esnaola M, Forns J, Basagaña X, Alvarez-Pedrerol M, Rivas I, López-Vicente M, De Castro Pascual M, Su J, Jerrett M, Querol X, Sunyer J. Green spaces and cognitive development in primary schoolchildren. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2015; 112(26): 7937–7942
- Dadvand P, Parker J, Bell ML, Bonzini M, Brauer M, Darrow L, Gehring U, Glinianaia SV, Gouveia N, Ha E, Leem JH, van den Hooven EH, Jalaludin B, Jesdale BM, Lepeule J, Morello-Frosch R, Morgan G, Pesatori AC, Pierik FH, Pless-Mulloli T, Rich DQ, Sathyanarayana S, Seo J, Slama R, Strickland M, Tamburic L, Wartenberg D, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Woodruff TJ. Maternal Exposure to Particulate Air Pollution and Fetal Growth; A Multi-Country Evaluation of Effect and Heterogeneity. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2013; 121:367–373.
- Dadvand P, Pujol J, Macià D, Martínez-Vilavella G, Blanco-Hinojo L, Mortamais M, Alvarez-Pedrerol M, Fenoll R, Esnaola M, Dalmau-Bueno A, López-Vicente M, Basagaña X, Jerrett M, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Sunyer J. The Association between Lifelong Greenspace Exposure and 3-Dimensional Brain Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Barcelona Schoolchildren. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2018; 126(2): 027012.
- Dadvand P, Basagaña B, Sartini C, Figueras F, Vrijheid M, De Nazelle A, Sunyer J, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ. Climate Extremes and the Length of Gestation. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2011; 119(10): 1449-1453.
- Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Khreis H, Triguero-Mas M, Gascon M, Dadvand P. Fifty Shades of Green: Pathway to Healthy Urban Living. Epidemiology. 2017; 28(1):63-71.