Pedro Emanuel Fleitas obtained a MSc in Biotechnology and a PhD in Biological Sciences at the Universities of the Litoral and Salta of Argentina. Pedro gained a strong background in immunology, diagnostic design, epidemiology and data science. Besides, he has participated in the design and execution of field studies to evaluate diagnostic methods, risk factors associated with neglected tropical diseases (NTD), and clinical trials to evaluate the efficacy and safety of drugs.
Afterwards, he joined the Barcelona Institute of Global Health as a Postdoctoral Researcher belonging to the Biomedical Data Science group and the International Health Service of the Hospital Clinic Barcelona. He aims to combine epidemiology with data science to model prognosis, and different outcomes of NTDs.
In the recent years, he has worked as a statistician for the ALIVE clinical trial of the EDCTP-funded STOP project. In addition, he has focused on data management and analysis coupled with machine learning techniques to generate predictive models based on electronic medical records.
Líneas de investigación
- Diagnostics of Neglected Tropical Diseases.
- Modeling the treatment efficacy of soil-transmitted helminths.
- Data management and analysis using machine learning of electronic medical records.
- Pedro E. Fleitas, Sebastián Dario Kehl, Walter Lopez, Marina Travacio, Elvia Nieves, José Fernando Gil, Rubén Oscar Cimino, Alejandro Javier Krolewiecki. 2022. Mapping the global distribution of Strongyloides stercoralis and hookworms by ecological niche modeling Parasites & Vectors. BMC.
- Alejandro Krolewiecki, Wendemagegn Enbiale, Javier Gandasegui, Pedro E. Fleitas, José Muñoz, et al. 2022. An adaptive phase II/III safety and efficacy randomized controlled trial of single day or three-day fixed-dose albendazole-ivermectin co-formulation versus albendazole for the treatment of Trichuris trichiura and other STH infections. ALIVE trial protocol Gates Open Research. F1000 Research Limited. 6-62.
- Pedro E Fleitas, Noelia Floridia-Yapur, Elvia E Nieves, et al; Alejandro J Krolewiecki. 2022. Strongyloides stercoralis and Trypanosoma cruzi coinfections in a highly endemic area in Argentina PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. Public Library of Science. 16-2.
- Marcos Alejandro Mayer, Alejandro Krolewiecki, Alejandro Ferrero, et al, Pedro E. Fleitas, Mario Rubén Kohan. 2022. Safety and efficacy of a MEURI Program for the use of high dose ivermectin in COVID-19 patients Frontiers in Public Health. Frontiers.
- Alejandro Krolewiecki, Adrián Lifschitz, Matías Moragas, et al, Pedro E Fleitas, Carlos Lanusse. 2021. Antiviral effect of high-dose ivermectin in adults with COVID-19: a pilot randomised, controlled, open label, multicentre trial. EClinicalMedicine. 37.
- Woyneshet Gelaye, Nana Aba Williams, Stella Kepha, et al, Pedro E Fleitas, Wendemagegn Enbiale. 2021. Performance evaluation of Baermann techniques: The quest for developing a microscopy referencestandard for the diagnosis of Strongyloides stercoralis PLoS neglected tropical diseases. 15-2.