Cristina O’Callaghan has a degree in Biology (2005) from the University of Barcelona (UB), a master in Microbiology (2008) from the same university and a master in Epidemiology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM, 2011). She did her PhD (2011) between the Barcelona Centre for International Health (CRESIB-UB, Barcelona) and Manhiça Health Research Centre (CISM, Mozambique).
In 2013 she joined the Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology (CREAL – now ISGlobal) as postdoctoral fellow within the Cancer programme. In 2014 she was awarded a Sara Borrell postdoctoral fellowship (Instituto de Salud Carlos III). In 2016 she worked as postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Medical Statistics at LSHTM. In 2017 she was awarded a PERIS fellowship (Generalitat de Catalunya) and obtained an Assistant Research Professor position at ISGlobal.
She has worked with a wide range of environmental exposures (i.e. air pollution, green spaces, diet, contamination related to extractive industries, heat stress) in association with non-communicable diseases, at national and international level (Greece, India, Mozambique and Peru).
Lines Of Research
Dr Cristina O’Callaghan-Gordo research activity is oriented towards the study of a wide range of environmental exposures (i.e. heat stress associated to climate change, urbanization, contamination related to extractive industries) in association with non-communicable diseases in both high income countries (HICs) and low and middle income countries (LMICs) under a Planetary Wellbeing perspective. Currently, her main areas of research are:
- Epidemiology of chronic kidney disease of unknown aetiology
- Heat stress and renal diseases
- Urbanization and non-communicable diseases
- Extractive industries and indigenous health
- O'Callaghan-Gordo C, Espinosa A, Valentin A, Tone C, Pérez-Gómez B, Castaño-Vinyals G, Dierssen-Sotos T, Moreno-Iribas C, de Sanjose S, Fernandez-Tardón G, et al. Green spaces, excess weight and obesity in Spain. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2019. (10.1016/j.ijheh.2019.10.007)
- O'Callaghan-Gordo, C., Shivashankar, R., Anand, S., Ghosh, S., Glaser, J., Gupta, R., Jakobsson, K., 2019. Prevalence of and risk factors for chronic kidney disease of unknown aetiology in India: secondary data analysis of three population-based cross-sectional studies. BMJ Open. 2019 Mar 7;9(3): e023353
- O'Callaghan-Gordo, C., Kogevinas, M., Cirach, M., Castaño-Vinyals, G., Aragonés, N., Delfrade, J., Fernández-Villa, T., Amiano, P., Dierssen-Sotos, T., Tardon, A., et al., 2018b. Residential proximity to green spaces and breast cancer risk: The multicase-control study in Spain (MCC-Spain). Int J Hyg Environ Health. 221(8): 1097-1106
- O'Callaghan-Gordo, C., Flores, J.A., Lizárraga, P., Okamoto, T., Papoulias, D.M., Barclay, F., Orta-Martínez, M., Kogevinas, M., Astete, J., 2018a. Oil extraction in the Amazon basin and exposure to metals in indigenous populations. Environ. Res. 162, 226–230
- O'Callaghan-Gordo, C., Kogevinas, M., Pedersen, M., Fthenou, E., Espinosa, A., Tsiapa, X., Chalkiadaki, G., Daraki, V., Dermitzaki, E., Decordier, I., et al., 2018c. Maternal diet during pregnancy and micronuclei frequency in peripheral blood T lymphocytes in mothers and newborns (Rhea cohort, Crete). Eur. J. Nutr. 57, 209–218