- 01/01/2018 - 31/12/2020
- Jordi Vila
- Mineco, Feder, ISCIII
At present a large proportion of available antibiotics are not suitable for the treatment of multiresistant pathogens. Sometimes the possibilities of choice are reduced to a single drug, as is the case of colistin for A. baumannii, in addition the new antibiotics are not active against this microorganism. In a recent document, the WHO positions A.baumannii at the top of the list of multiresistant microorganisms for which further research is required to find new antibacterial agents.
The main objective of this project is the design of new antibacterial agents against A. baumannii through several approaches:
1. Characterization of the role of active efflux systems (AESs) as well as other outer membrane proteins and double component systems in the virulence and resistance to antibiotics in A. baumannii, in order to search for potential target proteins;
2. Study of the capacity of blocking AESs by cyclic peptides;
3. We have a peptide with good antibacterial activity and its stability is being studied and its activity in vivo is also being investigated using a model of sepsis. The peptide will be optimized by synthesizing its enantiomer.
4. We have synthetized a peptide-oligonucleotide hybrid and in this project we will investigate its bactericidal capacity both in vitro and in vivo.
- Jordi Vila Research Professor, Director de la Iniciativa de Resistencias Antimicrobianas y del programa de Infecciones Víricas y Bacterianas
Otros proyectosVer proyectos pasados
Combatiendo la Resistencia Bacteriana en Europa
Erradicación del Pian
Application to medical deviceswww.nomorfilm.eu
Combatting Bacterial Resistance in Europe - Carbapenem Resistancehttps://www.imi.europa.eu/content/combacte-care
Prioritising Antimicrobial Resistance: establishing an interdisciplinary International Research Partnership to tackle an evolving global health threat
An interdisciplinary International Research Partnership to tackle an evolving global health threat
Development of new metal-antibiotics against pathogens causing chronic infections in patients with cystic fibrosis.
New metal-antibiotics for patients with cystic fibrosis
Non-invasive ultrasound-based screening for meningitis: Proof-of concept in infants
Improved case detection through TB contact risk stratification by Xpert results and spatial parameters in Mozambique
Evaluation of the effect of weekly high dose rifapentine and isoniazid (3HP) vs periodic 3HP vs 6H for preventing TB among HIV-positive individualshttps://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02980016
Desarrollo de nuevos metaloantibióticos frente a patógenos causantes de infecciones crónicas en pacientes con fibrosis quística
Optimizing provider-initiated HIV testing, linkage, and retention in care in the district of Manhiça, Mozambique
Integrating and decentralizing diabetes and hypertension services in Africahttp://inteafrica.org/
Searching the hidden: evaluating dengue, chikungunya and Zika autochthonous transmission in the city of Barcelona.
Eficacia de hidroxicloroquina en la prevención de la infección por SARS-CoV-2 y de la gravedad de la enfermedad de COVID-19 durante el embarazo
Estudio piloto para evaluar el potencial de la ivermectina para reducir la transmisión de COVID-19http://www.saintproject.org