Prof Jeffrey V. Lazarus is the head of the Health Systems Research Group at ISGlobal and an Associate Professor at the University of Barcelona. He earlier served as Professor at LUHS Medical Academy, Lithuania, and as Affiliated Professor at CHIP, the WHO Collaborating Centre on HIV and Viral Hepatitis at Rigshospitalet, the University of Copenhagen, and at the University of Porto, Portugal.
His decade-long career as health systems, HIV and hepatitis expert at WHO’s Regional Office for Europe was followed by three years at the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria as well as the Board Chair of AFEW International. He currently serves as a steering committee member of the European Commission’s Joint Action on HIV, hepatitis and TB, Vice-Chair of the EASL International Liver Foundation and a member of the ICE-HBV, ACHIEVE and AEHVE viral hepatitis elimination coalitions.
He is the author of more than 200 publications and his current scientific work includes leading the Hep-CORE, WipeOutHep and Hep-CoC studies as well as the Health Outcomes: Beyond Viral Suppression health systems study. In 2017 he joined the Lancet GastroHep Commission on viral hepatitis and in 2018 the EASL-Lancet European Liver Commission.
Lines of Research
- Health systems
- HIV and AIDS
- Viral hepatitis
- Lazarus JV, Safreed-Harmon K, Thursz MR, Dillon JF, El-Sayed MH, Elsharkawy AM, Hatzakis A, Jadoul M, Prestileo T, Razavi H, Rockstroh JK, Wiktor SZ, Colombo M. The micro-elimination approach to eliminating hepatitis C: strategic and operational considerations. Seminars in Liver Disease, 2018 Aug;38(3):181-192.
- Lazarus JV, Stumo SR, Maticic M, Harris M, Hetherington KL, Jauffret-Roustide M, Tallada J, Simojoki K, Reic T, Safreed-Harmon K, on behalf of the Hep-CORE Study Group. HEP-CORE: a cross-sectional study of the viral hepatitis policy environment reported by patient groups in 25 European countries in 2016 and 2017. J Int AIDS Soc. 2018, 21(S2):e25052.
- Lazarus JV, Wiktor SZ, Colombo M, Thursz M on behalf of the EASL International Liver Foundation. Micro-elimination – a path to global elimination of hepatitis C. Journal of Hepatology, July 2017.
- Lazarus JV, Safreed-Harmon K, Barton SE, Costagliola D, Dedes N, del Amo Valero J, Gattell JM, Baptista Leite R, Mendão L, Porter K, Vella S, Rockstroh JK. Beyond viral suppression of HIV—the new quality-of-life frontier. BMC Medicine, June 2016.
- Lazarus JV, Grønborg Laut K, Safreed-Harmon K, Peters L, Johnson M, Fätkenheuer G, Khromova I, Vandekerckhove L, Maciejewska K, Radoi R, Ridolfo AL, Mocroft A. Disparities in health care across Europe: Findings from the EuroSIDA clinic survey. BMC Infectious Diseases, July 2016.