He is a biologist with 8 years of laboratory research experience in tuberculosis (TB) immunology and TB drug discovery. In 2010-2011 he was trained as an epidemiologist at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and since then, he has been working in Peru, Guatemala, Ecuador, Ghana, and Mali as a Project Coordinator providing technical assistance, and data management supervision in Malaria, Schistosomiasis, HIV-STI, HIV associated TB, and TB & MDR-TB projects.
Currently, he is doing his PhD in TB-HIV epidemiology and he is pleased to join the multidisciplinary team of ISGlobal and Fundaçao Manhiça. He is based at CISM, in Mozambique, where he works as a fieldwork supervisor and data manager of the X-Patial TB project, a TB contact tracing study aiming to improve TB case detection in the district of Manhiça.
Lines of Research
- Epidemiology of infectious disease syndemics.
- Strengthening TB-HIV collaborative activities for prevention and control.
- HIV associated TB and multi-drug resistant TB.
- Strengthening health cae infomation systems for improved surveillance of infectious diseases.
- Fast standardized therapeutic-efficacy assay for drug discovery against tuberculosis. Rullas J, García JI, Beltrán M, Cardona PJ, Cáceres N, García-Bustos JF, Angulo-Barturen I. (2010). Fast standardized therapeutic-efficacy assay for drug discovery against tuberculosis. Agents Chemother. 54(5):2262-4. doi: 10.1128/AAC.01423-09 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20160054
- The MANGUA Project: A population-based HIV cohort in Guatemala. García JI, Samayoa B, Sabidó M, Prieto LA, Nikiforov M, Pinzón R, Santa Marina de León LR, Ortiz JF, Ponce E, Mejía CR, Arathoon E, Casabona J, Study Group TM. AIDS Res Treat. 2015;2015:372816. doi: 10.1155/2015/372816. Epub 2015 Sep 6. PMID:26425365 http://www.hindawi.com/journals/art/2015/372816/
- García JI, Sabidó M, Nikiforov M, Smith A, Hernández G, Ortiz R, et al. The UALE project: a cross-sectional approach for trends in HIV/STI prevalence among key populations attending STI clinics in Guatemala. BMJ Open [Internet]. 2018 Sep 19 [cited 2018 Sep 26];8(9):e022632. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30232112
- Zhang A, Jumbe E, Krysiak R, Sidiki S, Kelley H V., Chemey EK, et al. Low-cost diagnostic test for susceptible and drug-resistant tuberculosis in rural Malawi. Afr J Lab Med [Internet]. 2018 Jun 4 [cited 2018 Sep 26];7(1):690. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29977794