Cathryn Tonne is an environmental epidemiologist focusing on broad issues around the influence of the physical environment on health and health inequalities. Much of her research has focused on the health effects of air pollution from traffic and household sources.
She leads the European Research Council funded Cardiovascular Health effects of Air pollution in Telangana, India (chaiproject.org).
She is currently a Ramon y Cajal Fellow (2017-2021). Her previous research has been funded by the US NIH, UK Department of Health, UK Research Councils (ESRC, NERC, MRC).
She trained in Epidemiology and Environmental Health at the Harvard School of Public Health (ScD, 2006). Prior to her doctoral training, she received a Master of Public Health, with a focus on environmental health, from Columbia University, and a BS in chemistry from UC Berkeley.
She joined ISGlobal (former CREAL) in 2015 after several years in London, first at King´s College Environmental Research Group and then the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Lines of Research
- Air pollution
- Urban environments and health
- Cardiovascular health
- Global environmental health
- Planetary health
Curto A, Donaire-Gonzalez D, Manaca MN, González R, Sacoor C, Rivas I, Gascon M, Wellenius GA, Querol X, Sunyer J, Macete E, Menéndez C, Tonne C. Predictors of personal exposure to black carbon among women in southern semi-rural Mozambique. Environment International. 2019. 131 (104962). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Curto A, Wellenius GA, Milà C, Sanchez M, Ranzani O, Marshall JD, Kulkarni B, Bhogadi S, Kinra S, Tonne C. Ambient particulate air pollution and blood pressure in peri-urban India. Epidemiology. 2019. 30(4):492-500. https://doi.org/10.1097/EDE.
- Milà C, Salmon M, Sanchez M, Ambrós A, Bhogadi S, Sreekanth V, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Kinra S, Marshall JD, Tonne C. When, where, and what? Characterizing personal PM2.5 exposure in peri-urban India by integrating GPS, wearable camera, ambient and personal monitoring data. Environ Sci &Tech. 2018. 52(22):13481-13490. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.
- Salmon M, Milà C, Bhogadi S, Addanki S, Madhira P, Muddepaka N, Mora A, Sanchez M, Kinra S, Sreekanth V, Doherty A, Marshall JD, Tonne C. Wearable camera-derived microenvironments in relation to personal exposure to PM2.5. Environ Int. 2018. 117:300-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- Tonne C, Mila C, Fecht D, Alvarez M, Gulliver J, Smith J, Beevers S, Anderson HR, Kelly F. Socioeconomic and ethnic inequalities in exposure to air and noise pollution in London. Environ Int. 2018. 115:170-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
ORCID ID: 0000-0003-3919-8264