Raquel González graduated in Medicine at the Universitat de Barcelona in 2001 and obtained a Master in Public Health in 2004. She was recipient of the Spanish Society of Vaccinology‘s Fellowship for a training abroad and spent six months at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta as guest researcher in 2006.
She finished her medical residency and graduated as specialist in Preventive Medicine and Public Health in 2007 at the Hospital Clínic of Barcelona where she started her collaboration with CRESIB/ISGlobal and with the Centro de Investigação em Saúde de Manhiça (CISM) in Mozambique. In 2015, she defended her PhD thesis at the Universitat de Barcelona.
For the past ten years she has worked as study field coordinator, project manager and investigator of several epidemiological studies in Tetouan (Morocco), Manhiça (Mozambique) and Nairobi (Kenya), focusing her research on poverty-related diseases such as malaria, HIV and maternal health.
Since 2012, she collaborates with the Global Malaria Program of the World Health Organization providing technical inputs and updating the guidelines for prevention of malaria in pregnancy. She is also lecturer at the Master of Global Health (ISGlobal-University of Barcelona).
Lines of Research
- González R, Ataíde R, Naniche D, Menéndez C, Mayor A. HIV and malaria interactions: where do we stand? Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2012; 10(2):153-65.
- Gonzalez R, Mandomando I, Fumado V, Sacoor C, Macete E, Alonso PL, et al. Breast Milk and Gut Microbiota in African Mothers and Infants from an Area of High HIV Prevalence. PloS one. 2013;8(11):e80299. PubMed PMID: 24303004. Pubmed Central PMCID: PMC3841168. Epub 2013/12/05. eng. Q1
- Gonzalez R, Desai M, Macete E, Ouma P, Kakolwa MA, et al. (2014) Intermittent Preventive Treatment of Malaria in Pregnancy with Mefloquine in HIV-Infected Women Receiving Cotrimoxazole Prophylaxis: A Multicenter Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. PLoS Med 11: e1001735.
- Gonzalez R, Mombo-Ngoma G, Ouedraogo S, Kakolwa MA, Abdulla S, et al. (2014) Intermittent Preventive Treatment of Malaria in Pregnancy with Mefloquine in HIV-Negative Women: A Multicentre Randomized Controlled Trial. PLoS Med 11: e1001733.
- Gonzalez R, Augusto OJ, Munguambe K, Pierrat C, Pedro EN, Sacoor C, et al. HIV Incidence and Spatial Clustering in a Rural Area of Southern Mozambique. PloS one. 2015;10(7):e0132053. Epub 2015/07/07. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0132053. PubMed PMID: 26147473; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC4493140.
Faculty at the Master of Global Health (ISGlobal-UB, as a lecturer of the following courses:
- Fundamentals of epidemiology
- Extended epidemiology
- Maternal Health (co-coordinator of the course)