Her primary research interest is examining environmental and occupational determinants of health in large-scale epidemiological studies. She has actively conducted research in both North America and Europe. She has lead several large-scale investigations into the mortality health effects of long-term ambient air pollution exposure in the U.S. She played a leading role in the 7-country INTEROCC study of brain tumour risk, and is founding member of the AllergoOncology Task Force of the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
She currently serves as Work Package Leader in the European “Generalised EMF Research Using Novel Methods” study. Most recently, she was unanimously elected as Vice-Chair and Grant Holder of the 28-country European Cooperation in Science and Technology Action “Coordination and Harmonization of European Occupational Cohorts (OMEGA-NET)” which seeks to optimize the use of occupational, industrial, and population cohorts in Europe and provide networking and training opportunities for new researchers. She was also recently awarded a prestigious Ramón y Cajal fellowship in Spain.
Lines of Research
- Air pollution
- Turner MC, Benke G, Bowman JD, Figuerola J, Fleming S, Hours M, Kincl L, Krewski D, McLean D, Parent ME, Richardson L, Sadetzki S, Schlaefer K, Schlehofer B, Schuz J, Siemiatycki J, van Tongeren M, Cardis E. 2014. Occupational exposure to extremely low frequency magnetic fields and brain tumor risks in the INTEROCC study. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, 23:1863-1872.
- Turner MC, Sadetzki S, Langer CE, Villegas R, Figuerola J, Armstrong BK, Chetrit A, Giles GG, Krewski D, Hours M, McBride ML, Parent MÉ, Richardson L, Siemiatycki J, Woodward A, Cardis E. 2016. Investigation of bias related to differences between case and control interview dates in five INTERPHONE countries. Annals of Epidemiology, 26:827-832.
- Turner MC, Jerrett M, Pope CA III, Krewski D, Gapstur SM, Diver WR, Beckerman BS, Marshall JD, Su J, Crouse DL, Burnett RT. 2016. Long-term ozone exposure and mortality in a large prospective study. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 193:1134-1142.
- Turner MC, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Anderson K, Balshaw D, Cui Y, Dunton G, Hoppin JA, Koutrakis P, Jerrett M. 2017. Assessing the exposome with external measures: commentary on the state of the science and research recommendations. Annual Review in Public Health, in press.
- Turner MC, Krewski D, Diver WR, Pope III CA, Burnett RT, Jerrett M, Marshall JD, Gapstur SM. 2017. Ambient air pollution and cancer mortality in the Cancer Prevention Study-II. Environmental Health Perspectives, in press.