The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation to policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in three main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Child and Maternal Health, and Urban Health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is the first global public health centre to have received the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
What we are looking for
We are seeking a postdoctoral researcher to join the new e-Health Research Group of Dr. Guillaume Chevance at ISGlobal, created in the framework of the Severo Ochoa Program, to work on the development of digital solutions to better understand and promote health-related behaviors and pro-environmental behaviors.
The postdoctoral researcher will have the opportunity to (i) analyze health behaviors data collected through accelerometers and health apps and (ii) develop projects aiming at understand the dynamic of health behaviors (e.g., physical activity, sedentary behaviors, eating behaviors, sleep) and pro-environmental behaviors (e.g., transportation, meat consumption, energy sufficiency) through the utilization of relevant digital technologies.
The postdoctoral researcher will have the possibility to focus on either one type of behavior (health or pro-environmental) or engage in the study of both behaviors simultaneously. Interest in methods supporting the collection of data at high resolution, and idiographic time series analyses is strongly preferred (please, see this recent position paper: https://doi.org/10.1093/tbm/ibaa026). Interest is additionally expressed for candidates with experience in citizen science, self-studies and personal science.
Research projects should mainly target participants with specific needs including individuals with chronic health conditions, individuals living in a context of social deprivation, refugees and migrants (for the analyses of pro-environmental behaviors, high incomes individuals might also be targeted).
- Analyses of behavioral data collected through digital technologies: to analyze and interpret behavioral fluctuations over time and contexts, as well as their interactions with other relevant behaviors, determinants or health outcomes.
- Development of digital health studies: to design and implement research project aiming at promote health and pro-environmental behaviors with the help of relevant digital technologies including wearables, smartphones and apps.
Candidates are expected to:
- Have a completed, or close to completion, PhD with expertise in e-health, behavioral sciences, psychology, movement sciences, data sciences, public health, climate and environmental sciences or related fields. Additional profiles will be considered if highly motivated researchers in other related disciplines decide to apply;
- Have good experience in programming language, notably R;
- Be willing to work in an inter-disciplinary team within a highly collaborative research institute;
- Be fluent in spoken and written English, and be willing to apply to individual fellowships to become and independent researcher and define new own lines of research;
- Have a good track record of first-authored publications
- Dedication: Full time.
- Starting date: Any time since October 1 2020.
- Duration: 3 years.
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the requested form including the following reference: [SO_POSTDOC_EHEALTH_JUL20].
Applicants should attach the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- 2-pages supporting statement describing research trajectory, qualifications, experiences and projects, in regards to the competences and duties related to the offer, and research plans at ISGlobal; the inclusion of hyperlinks to online repositories with tangibles codes and preprint is encouraged.
- the names and contact information for three references.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about these positions.
The receipt of applications will be open until a candidate is selected. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will be funded through the “Centro de Excelencia Severo Ochoa 2019-2023” Program (CEX 2018-000806-S) from the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.