DescripciónThe Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in three main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Child and Maternal Health, and Urban Health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
What we are looking for
ISGlobal is seeking a Data Manager who is interested in conducting data management for two projects in the Maternal, Child and Reproductive Health Initiative: MULTIPLY and ICARIA.
The overall MULTIPLY project (MULTIple doses of IPTi Proposal: a Lifesaving high Yield intervention) goal is to contribute to an increase in survival of young children in three sub-Saharan countries through the implementation of Intermittent Preventive Treatment of malarial in infants (IPTi) alongside routine Expanded Programme on Immunisation (EPI) vaccinations and vitamin A supplementation. MULTIPLY is a multi-country 40 month implementation research project funded by the European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) and started in May 2021. MULTIPLY aims to catalyse country uptake of IPTi and inform future policy and guidelines in moderate-to-high malaria transmission settings. The project has been conceived following a before-after evaluation design of the impact of the intervention. The primary outcome measure will be the coverage of three or more doses of IPTi in children under 2 years of age (U2) attending the EPI programme in project areas. IPTi will be delivered at health facilities and mobile-outreach EPI clinics to all children living in project districts. The number of IPTi doses a child will receive will be based on the EPI schedule of the country, with a maximum of 6 doses in the first 2 years of life. The study will be conducted in 3 sub-Saharan African countries: Sierra Leone, Mozambique and Togo. The project intervention will target approximately 45,000 U2 children in total.
The ICARIA project (Azithromycin Research for Infants in Africa), carried out in Sierra Leone, is a large-scale clinical trial which will measure the incremental mortality benefit of administering IPTi plus azithromycin to infants with the goal of contributing to a reduction in child mortality in areas of high malaria and mortality burden in sub-Saharan Africa. ICARIA is a five-year project funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and co-funded by La Caixa Foundation is coordinated by ISGlobal. The project will evaluate the impact of azithromycin (AZi) plus IPTi with sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine (IPTi-SP) administered through the EPI in Sierra Leone on childhood mortality.
Training and experience
- A bachelor’s degree related to Computer Science or Data Engineering.
- Master’s degree or at least 2 years of experience in Data Management (preferably in biomedical sciences).
- Experience in Data Entry
- Web programming and software development knowledge.
- Database administration knowledge.
- Experience in programming on R software or Python.
- Experience in Amazon Web Services.
- Experience in Linux Administration.
- Collection Instruments (ODK, REDCap or OpenClinica).
Design the system and procedures for data collection and supervise data collection activities in the MULTIPLY and ICARIA projects. The Data Manager will design, deploy and support the data management systems for the two projects working in close collaboration with the Assistant data manager and rest of local data management staff. This includes: 1) data management and validation plans, 2) standard operating procedures, 3) data management software administration 4) data collection instruments implementation and 5) data quality and progress reports coding to support data collection, storage and verification processes. The candidate will also oversee and support the full data life cycle.
- Design and implement a robust Data Management System to capture the project data at each study area.
- Design and implement the procedures of data collection, verification and quality assurance data.
- Provide technical advice to local counterparts, conduct training in the system and procedures established for data collection and supervise data collection activities in the Sierra Leone, Mozambique and Togo.
- Write Data Magement and Validation Plans
- Supervise the collection of data and ensure its quality through data verification procedures.
- Design and generate routine and specific monitoring data reports, on status of data collection and its correctness.
- Document the data management system and procedures: standard operating procedures (SOPs), tools (databases, forms) control versions, data dictionaries.
- Prepare supporting material for dissemination activities and scientific writing.
- Support to the users on system use.
- Data curation of final data collected at the end of study or data collection activities.
- Control of the data storage conditions and backup and other security related systems and procedures.
- Ability to work in very different contexts and with flexibility to implement complex solutions in low-resource settings.
- Empathic with the ability to work with professionals from very different cultures, mindsets and ways of working.
- Persistence to execute complex plans in contexts of setbacks.
- Context aware while executing all activities required.
- Proven expertise in providing assistance (technical or otherwise).
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in national programs in Africa and technical staff.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple projects/tasks, short and competing deadlines, with intense pressure to perform.
- Ability to interact with established networks of senior level international health professionals, donors, universities and other partners.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse international teams.
Fluent in written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of Portuguese and French would be an asset. Knowledge of Catalan and/or Spanish would be a plus.
- December 2021 - April 2025, starting date December: 2021,
- Starting date: November 2021
- Contract: Full time
- Salary Range: Salary according to the candidate profile and project Budget
During the crisis caused by COVID19, standard working conditions will be adapted to sanitary requirements.
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: DM_MULTIPLY_Nov21 attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname. The CV and cover letter should be in English.
Applicants must have the right to work in Spain / Europe.
The receipt of applications will be open December the 23rd, 2021. Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
The interviews could take place before the closing date for applications. Applications should be submitted asap as the position will be open until filled.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
In ISGlobal we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such as age, gender, marital status, race, ethnicity, functional diversity, political leanings, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.