Anna Alari is a postdoctoral researcher working on the COVAIR-CAT project. She studies whether the level of exposure to air pollution in the days following COVID-19 diagnosis can be associated to hospital admission or death.
Anna Alari obtained her PhD in Epidemiology in the Biostatistics, Biomathematics, Pharmacoepidemiology and Infectious diseases (B2PHI) research unit of the Pasteur Institute in Paris with a work about temporal and geographic variation of pneumococcal meningitis and effect of conjugate vaccine in France (2018). In 2019 she started a post-doctoral fellowship in Environmental Epidemiology and Policy Evaluation at INSERM (France) and the University of California, San Diego.
She investigated the effect of exposure to air pollution and heat wave on human mortality: in specific, she worked on an evaluation of the effectiveness of the measures undertaken in the region of Paris to fight against pollution peaks (using quasi-experimental methods) and she studied the role of ozone as causal intermediate in the relationship between heat and mortality. Her research interests include impact of climate change and air pollution on human health and she is particularly interested in exploring the environmental determinants of infectious diseases in order to better understand diseases transmission and seasonality.
- Alari A, Chaussade H, Domenech De Cellès, Le Fouler L, Varon E, Opatowski L, Guillemot D,Watier L. Impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccines on pneumococcal meningitis cases in France between 2001 and 2014: a time series analysis. BMC Medicine. 2016. 14(1) : 211. (Summarizing video: https://youtu.be/H22iMP1yW1Q). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-016-0755-7.
- Alari A, Cheysson F, Le Fouler L, Varon E, Opatowski L, Guillemot D, Watier L. Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine impact against pneumococcal meningitis: an analysis of French administrative areas 2001–2016. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2019. 188(8):1466-1474. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwz071.
- Pascal M, Wagner V, Alari A, Corso M, Le Tertre A. Extreme heat and acute air pollution episodes: A need for joint public health warnings? Atmospheric Environment. 2021. ISSN: 1352-2310, Vol: 249, Page: 118249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2021.118249.
- Alari A, Schwarz L, Zabrockic L, Le Nird G, Chaix B, Benmarhnia T. The effects of an air quality alert program on premature mortality: a difference-in-differences evaluation in the region of Paris. Environmental International. 2021. Vol: 156, Page: 106583. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2021.106583.
- Schwarz L, Hansen K, Alari A, Ilango SD, Bernal N, Basu R, Gershunov A, Benmarhnia T. Spatial variation in the joint effect of extreme heat events and ozone on respiratory hospitalizations in California. PNAS June 1, 2021 118 (22) e2023078118. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2023078118.