This course addresses the main determinants of global health with special emphasis on the most disadvantaged populations in middle and low-income countries
- 28 September - 6 October 2022
- Faculty of Medicine, University of Barcelona
- 525 Euros + University taxes
- 9:00 - 13:30h*
- Face to Face*
- 3 ECTS
This course shows how the recognition of social determinants of health improves the formulation and implementation of policies and programs.
Assessment will involve class participation, questions on the essential reading, and preparation and oral presentation of a micro-essay on health determinants.
Candidates should have demonstrated interest in global health and an undergraduate degree in a related field.
Interested candidates must complete the application form so that we can process their application request.
*The time and format of sessions are subject to change.
The programme of studies for this course includes:
- Introduction to global health determinants. Equity, social justice, and human rights in health.
- Policy implications of the social determinants of health. Health systems and health policy.
- Global distribution of the burden of disease and its determinants. Fundamentals in south / north Inequalities.
- Socioeconomic and political context. Conflicts and health.
- Social class and education.
- Gender and health.
- Geography, ethnicity, migration, poverty and development.
- Employment and working conditions and inequities in health.
- Environmental determinants in global health. Climate change.
- Course overview. Critical review of the behavioural approach as determinant of health.
- Course evaluation: framing information on the social determinants of health and inequalities for decision makers.