Patricia Tarín-Carrasco, holds a PhD in Biodiversity and Environmental Management from the Universidad de Murcia. She is graduated in Environmental Sciences by Universidad de Murcia, Patricia got her master on pollution, toxicology and environmental health (specializing in environmental pollution) in Universidad de Valencia.
During her PhD she studied the effects of air pollution and climate change in human health. She has developed his work in centers such as the University of Murcia, Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy (Denmark) and Faculdade de Engenharia da Universidade do Porto (Portugal).
She received the final Extraordinary Doctorate award by the University of Murcia in her doctoral program, as well as the best oral communication award at the "I Symposium on Chemical and Physical Sciences for Young Researchers” organized by the Faculty of Chemistry of the University of Murcia; the Young Researcher Award granted by the Spanish Association of Climatology at the "XI International Congress of the Spanish Association of Climatology”.
Patricia Tarín-Carrasco has been working on the ArcIce4MedCalRain project, which aims to reduce uncertainties in future rainfall projections. And she currently works as a postdoctoral researcher with the Juan de la Cierva fellowship under the supervision of Ivana Cvijanovic and Xavier Rodó.
Lines of research
- Climate Change and health
- Air pollution and health
- Impacts of extreme climate events
- Tarín-Carrasco, P., Augusto, S., Ratola, N., Palacios-Peña, L., Jiménez-Guerrero, P. (2021). Impact of large wildfires on PM10 levels and human mortality in Portugal. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences. 21, 2867–2880. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-21-2867-2021.
- Tarín-Carrasco, P., Im, U., Geels, C., Palacios-Peña, L., Jiménez-Guerrero, P. (2020). Reducing future air pollution-related premature mortality over Europe by mitigating emissions: assessing an 80% renewable energies scenario. Atmos. Chem. Phys. (Preprint: https://acp.copernicus.org/preprints/acp-2021-86/).
- Tarín-Carrasco, P., Im, U., Geels, C., Palacios-Peña, L., Jiménez-Guerrero, P. (2020). Contribution of fine particulate matter to present and future premature mortality over Europe: a non-linear response. Environment International, 153, 106517. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2021.106517.
- Turco, M. Jerez, S., Augusto, S., Tarín-Carrasco, P., Ratola, N., Jiménez-Guerrero, P., Trigo, R. M. (2019). Climate drivers of the 2017 devastating fires in Portugal. Scientific Reports, 9:13886. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-50281-2.
- Tarín-Carrasco, P., Morales Suarez-Varela, M., Im, U., Brandt, J., Palacios-Peña, L. and Jiménez-Guerrero, P. (2019). Isolating the climate change impacts on air-pollution-related pathologies over central and southern Europe – a modelling approach on cases and costs. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 19, 1–14, 2019. https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-19-1-2019.