Denise Naniche is Associate Research Professor at ISGlobal. She received a Bachelor of Science in Biology in 1987 from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) and then went on to obtain a PhD in Immunology in 1993 in measles virology and immunology at the Université Claude Bernard in Lyon, France. She worked as a post-doctoral fellow on HIV antibody neutralization at the Centre D'Immunologie de Marseille Luminy in Marseille, France. She continued research in immunology of measles and lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, USA. In 2003, she completed a Master in Public Health/Epidemiology at the San Diego State University. She joined ISGlobal's research centre in 2003.
Lines of Research
Her lines of research focus on epidemiology of HIV/AIDS in southern Mozambique, with emphasis on early HIV infection. Specific areas of study include:
- Characterization of gastrointestinal inflammation during acute HIV infection. This is the most determinant phase of HIV infection in terms of disease outcomes. This area includes evaluation of potential biomarkers of HIV progression and recent infection during acute HIV infection.
- Description of the epidemiology of HIV/AIDS in Manhiça, Mozambique. HIV prevalence, incidence, maternal and child indicators as well as outcomes associated with antiretroviral treatment are crucial to implementation of HIV prevention interventions. This area seeks to document the dynamics of the HIV epidemic in Manhiça, Mozambique.
- Improving and adapting HIV testing strategies to rural sub Saharan African setting. This area includes operational research aimed at increasing HIV testing and linkage to care in Manhiça, Mozambique.
- Moraleda C, de Deus N, Serna-Bolea C, Renom M, Quintó L, Macete E, Menéndez C, Naniche D. Impact of HIV exposure on health outcomes in HIV-negative infants born to HIV-positive mothers in Sub-Saharan Africa. (2014) J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. Feb 1;65(2):182-9.
- González R, Munguambe K, Aponte J, Bavo C, Nhalungo D, Macete E, Alonso P, Menéndez C, Naniche D. High HIV prevalence in a southern semi-rural area of Mozambique: a community-based survey. (2012) HIV Medicine.(10):581-8.
- Serna-Bolea C., de Deus, N., Acácio S., Muñoz J., Nhalungo D., Letang E., Alonso P., Naniche D. Recent HIV-1 infection: identification of individuals with high viral load setpoint in a voluntary counselling and testing centre in rural Mozambique. (2012) Plos One 7(2):e31859.
- Letang, E., Miró JM Nhampossa T, Ayala E, Gascon J, Menéndez C, Alonso PL, Naniche D. Incidence and predictors of immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in a rural área of Mozambique. (2011) PLoS One Feb 28;6(2):e16946.
- Serna-Bolea C., Munoz, J., Almeida J.M., Nhacolo, A. , Letang E., Nhampossa, T., Ferreira, E., Alonso P., Naniche D. High prevalence of symptomatic acute HIV infection in an outpatient ward in southern Mozambique: identification and follow-up. (2010) AIDS 24 (4): 603–608.