María-Jesús Pinazo is physician, senior specialist in Internal Medicine at the International Health Service of the Hospital Clínic in Barcelona, Assistant Research Professor at ISGlobal and Associate Professor at Barcelona University. She obtained her PhD in Internal Medicine at the University of Barcelona in 2016. Her main line of research in International Health is on Chagas Disease, from basic to Public Health research.
Since 2010 she is the technical coordinator of the Comprehensive Care Platform for Chagas' disease patients in Bolivia. Since 2011 she has been a member of the international network "New Tools for the Diagnosis and Evaluation of the Patient with CD (NHEPACHA)". Since 2007, she has been teaching Global Health on the Master in Clinical Research: International Health (University of Barcelona); Master of One Health, and Master of Immigration, Interculturality and Health (Autonomous University of Barcelona). In 2010 she coordinated the protocol for screening and diagnosis of Chagas' disease in pregnant Latin American women (Departament de Salut, Generalitat de Catalunya). Since 2017 she is the scientific coordinator of the InSPIRES project (H2020 program), bringing science closer to society, integrating the RRI, the "open-science and open data" in its scientific approach. Since 2019 she is the coordinator of the ”la Caixa” LivingLab.
Lines of Research
- Chagas disease
- Imported infectious diseases
- Pinazo MJ, Pinto J, Ortiz L, Sánchez J, García W, Saravia R, Cortez MR, Moriana S, Grau E, Lozano D, Gascon J, Torrico F. A strategy for scaling up access to comprehensive care in adults with Chagas disease in endemic countries: The Bolivian Chagas Platform. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017 Aug 18;11(8):e0005770. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0005770. eCollection 2017 Aug.
- Requena-Méndez A, Bussion S, Aldasoro E, Jackson Y, Angheben A, Moore D, Pinazo MJ, Gascón J, Muñoz J, Sicuri E. Cost-effectiveness of Chagas disease screening in Latin American migrants at primary health-care centres in Europe: a Markov model analysis. Lancet Glob Health. 2017 Apr;5(4):e439-e447. doi:10.1016/S2214-109X(17)30073-6. Epub 2017 Feb 28.
- Torrico F, Gascon J, Ortiz L, Alonso-Vega C, Pinazo MJ, Schijman A, Almeida IC, Alves F, Strub-Wourgaft N, Ribeiro I; E1224 Study Group. Treatment of adult chronic indeterminate Chagas disease with benznidazole and three E1224 dosing regimens: a proof-of-concept, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018 Apr;18(4):419-430. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(17)30538-8. Epub 2018 Jan 16.
- Pinazo MJ, Posada Ede J, Izquierdo L, Tassies D, Marques AF, de Lazzari E, Aldasoro E, Muñoz J, Abras A, Tebar S, Gallego M, de Almeida IC, Reverter JC, Gascon J. Altered Hypercoagulability Factors in Patients with Chronic Chagas Disease: Potential Biomarkers of Therapeutic Response. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2016 Jan 4;10(1):e0004269. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0004269.
- Pinazo MJ, Thomas MC, Bua J, Perrone A, Schijman AG, Viotti RJ, Ramsey JM, Ribeiro I, Sosa-Estani S, López MC, Gascon J. Biological markers for evaluating therapeutic efficacy in Chagas disease, a systematic review. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2014 Apr;12(4):479-96. doi:10.1586/14787210.2014.899150.