BS in Biology by the Autonomous University of Barcelona with minors in Biochemistry and Genetics (1999). His Ph.D studies (Barcelona/Stockholm) dealt with the molecular characterization of ribonucleotide reduction in bacteria. After a few years of research and teaching Microbiology courses at the UAB he moved to the Department of Microbiology at the Hospital Clinic to work on antimicrobial resistance mechanisms and in 2013 he joined ISGlobal's research centre as Assistant Research Professor.
His main research interests are concerned with the identification and characterization of genetic determinants that either enhance the course of infectious processes or are needed for proliferation and persistence of microbial pathogens within the human host. Such determinants involve transcriptional regulators, virulence factors, antimicrobial resistance mechanisms and essential genes.
At present, the bullk of his research is centered on Gram negative bacteria and, more specifically, on the non-fermenter Acinetobacter baumannii. In this respect he is involved in several research programs to investigate the fundamentals and the epidemiology of new highly virulent multiresistant strains, the impact of antibiotic exposure and regime choice on antimicrobial resistance as well as the discovery of novel antimicrobial drug targets.
Lines of Research
- Identification/Characterization of bacterial virulence factors and antibiotic resistance mechanisms
- Epidemiology of Multidrug resistant (MDR) bacteria
- Development of rapid diagnostic tools for bacterial infections
- Mari-Almirall M, Cosgaya C, Higgins PG, Van Assche A, Telli M, Huys G, Lievens B, Seifert H, Dijkshoorn L, Roca I, and Vila J. 2016. MALDI-TOF/MS identification of species from the Acinetobacter baumannii (Ab) group revisited: inclusion of the novel A. seifertii and A. dijkshoorniae species. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. In Press
- Camoez M, Sierra JM, Domínguez MA, Ferrer-Navarro M, Vila J, and Roca I. 2016. Automated categorization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolates into different clonal complexes by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. 22:161 e161-167.
- Pitart C, Solé M, Roca I, Román A, Moreno A, Vila J, and Marco F. 2015. Molecular characterization of blaNDM-5 carried in an IncFII plasmid in Escherichia coli from a non-traveller patient in Spain. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 59:659-662.
- Mosqueda N, Espinal P, Cosgaya C, Viota S, Plasensia V, Álvarez-Lerma F, Montero M, Gómez J, Horcajada JP, Vila J, and Roca I. 2013. Globally Expanding Carbapenemase Finally Appears in Spain: Nosocomial Outbreak of Acinetobacter baumannii Producing Plasmid-Encoded OXA-23 in Barcelona, Spain. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 57:5155-5157.
- Roca I, Espinal P, Vila-Farres X, and Vila J. 2012. The Acinetobacter baumannii Oxymoron: Commensal Hospital Dweller Turned Pan-Drug-Resistant Menace. Front. Microbiol. 3:148.
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-1800-1576
RESEARCHER ID: M-4509-2014