Dr. Oriol Mitjà is Associate Professor at the Germans Trias Research Institute, head of the STI Unit of the Germans Trias i Pujol Hospital and Associated Researcher at ISGlobal.
He conducted his pre- and postdoctoral research in Papua New Guinea in the area of endemic treponematoses and cutaneous chancroid, and he has focused his clinical research programme on the development of diagnostic and therapeutic tools for management of skin neglected tropical diseases. He has authored numerous research articles that have earned international recognition and have informed new attempts to eradication of yaws worldwide. He serves as an advisor to World Health Organization and he has been a member of the organizing committee of six international meetings on yaws.
At present, Dr Mitjà is conducting research on Sexual Transmitted Diseases (STI) with a focus on syphilis, thus combining efforts and knowledge to control two treponemal diseases (syphilis and yaws).
Lines of Research
- Clinical development of new tools for the diagnosis and management of skin neglected diseases (yaws, filariasis and scabies).
- Clinical development of new tools for the management l of Sexual Transmitted Infections (syphilis and gonorrhoea).
- Mitjà O, Godornes C, Houinei W, et al. Re-emergence of yaws after single mass azithromycin treatment followed by targeted treatment: a longitudinal study. Lancet 2018; 391(10130):1599-1607. [IF: 44.0]
- Mitja O, Houinei W, Moses P, et al. Mass treatment with single-dose azithromycin for yaws. New England Journal of Medicine 2015; 372: 703-710. [IF:54.42]
- Mitja O, Lukehart SA, Pokowas G, et al. Haemophilus ducreyi as a cause o skin ulcers in children from a yaws-endemic area of Papua New Guinea: a prospective cohort study. Lance Global Health 2014; 2: e235-241.
- Ayove T, Houinei W, Wangnapi R, Mitja O. Evaluation of a rapid dual point-of-care assay for targeting antibiotic treatment for yaws eradication: a comparative study. Lancet Global Health 2014; 2: e415-21.
- Mitja O, Hays R, Ipai A, Penias M, Paru R, Fagaho D, de Lazzari E, Bassat Q. Single-dose azithromycin versus benzathine benzylpenicillin for treatment of yaws in children in Papua New Guinea: an open-label, non-inferiority, randomized trial. Lancet 2012; 379: 342-7.
ORCID ID: 0000-0003-3266-8868
RESEARCHER ID: W-4181-2018