Cristina O’Callaghan has a degree in Biology (2005) from the University of Barcelona (UB), a master in Microbiology (2008) from the same university and a master in Epidemiology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM, 2011). She did her PhD (2011) between the Barcelona Centre for International Health (CRESIB-UB, Barcelona) and Manhiça Health Research Centre (CISM, Mozambique).
In 2013 she joined the Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology (CREAL – now ISGlobal) as postdoctoral fellow within the Cancer programme. In 2014 she was awarded a Sara Borrell postdoctoral fellowship (Instituto de Salud Carlos III). In 2016 she worked as postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Medical Statistics at LSHTM. In 2017 she was awarded a PERIS fellowship (Generalitat de Catalunya) and obtained an Assistant Research Professor position at ISGlobal.
Currently, she works in the study of a wide range of environmental exposures (i.e. air pollution, green spaces, diet, contamination related to extractive industries) in association with non-communicable diseases, at national and international level (Greece, India, Mozambique and Peru).
Lines Of Research
Cristina is an environmental epidemiologist working with wide range of environmental exposures in association with non-communicable diseases, with special focus on low and middle income countries (LMICs). Main research lines are:
- Urbanization and cancer
- Extractive industries and health
- Epidemiology of chronic kidney disease of unknown aetiology
- Epidemiology of endemic Burkitt lymphoma
- O’Callaghan-Gordo C, Casabonne D, Carrilho C, Ferro J, Lorenzoni C, Zaqueu C, Nhabomba A, AguilaRr, Bassat Q, de Sanjosé S, Dobaño C, Kogevinas M. Incidence of endemic Burkitt’s lymphoma in three regions of Mozambique. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2016 Dec 7;95(6):1459-1462. Epub 2016 Oct 31.
- O’Callaghan-Gordo C, Kogevinas M, Pedersen M, Fthenou E, Espinosa A, Tsiapa X, Chalkiadaki G, Daraki V, Dermitzaki E, Decordier I, Farmer PB, Georgiadis P, Georgiou V, Kyrtopoulos SA, Merlo DF, Romaguera D, Roumeliotaki T, Sarri K, Törnqvist M, Vande Loock K, von Stedingk H, Kleinjans J, Kirsch-Volders M, Chatzi L. Maternal diet during pregnancy and micronuclei frequency in peripheral blood T lymphocytes in mothers and newborns (Rhea cohort, Crete). European Journal of Nutrition. Eur J Nutr. 2016 Sep 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- O'Callaghan-Gordo C, Kogevinas M, Fthenou E, Pedersen M, Espinosa A, Chalkiadaki G, Daraki V, Dermitzaki E, Decordier I, Georgiou V, Merlo DF, Roumeliotaki T, Vande Loock K, Kleinjans J, Kirsch-Volders M, Chatzi L. Vitamin D insufficient levels during pregnancy and micronuclei frequency in peripheral blood T lymphocytes mothers and newborns (Rhea cohort, Crete). Clin Nutr. 2016 Jun 27. pii: S0261-5614(16)30150-9. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2016.06.016. [Epub ahead of print]
- O'Callaghan-Gordo C, Orta-Martínez M, Kogevinas M. Health effects of non-occupational exposure to oil extraction. Environ Health. 2016 Apr 26;15:56. doi: 10.1186/s12940-016-0140-1.
- O'Callaghan-Gordo C, Fthenou E, Pedersen M, Espinosa A, Chatzi L, Beelen R, Chalkiadaki G, Decordier I, Hoek G, Merlo DF, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Roumeliotaki T, Vafeiadi M, Vande Loock K, Kleinjans J, Stephanou E, Kirsch-Volders M, Kogevinas M. Outdoor air pollution exposures and micronuclei frequencies in lymphocytes from pregnant women and newborns in Crete, Greece (Rhea cohort). Environ Res. 2015 Nov;143(Pt A):170-6. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2015.10.011. Epub 2015 Oct 21.